Need confirmation about P-40F Robert "Westy" Westbrook

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Hello,
I would like to have a confirmation (or not) about the P-40F "white 104" flown by Robert Westbrook in 44FS-18FG from January to June 1943. Does the SN41-14104 is the good SN ? If it's the case, then I think it's a short tail...
I have a doubt regarding the exact date of the white painted tails, June or July 1943 ?
TIA, cheers.
Steph.

LtCol. Robert Burdette 'Westy' WESTBROOK
21 Victories
44FS/18FG, 339FS - 1943 - P-40 Solomons
339FS/347FG - P-38 - N.Guinea - KIA 22/11/1944

You must have these links, but just in case..............
http://www.afhra.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=10609 (see the AIRCRAFT heading, and Commanders, below)
Commanders. 2 Lt A. C. Newton, 1 Jan 1941; Capt J. L. Holtner, 15 Jan 1941; Capt Kenneth P. Bergquist, 27 Feb 1941; Capt Arthur R. Kingham, 3 Oct 1941; 1 Lt J. L. McBride, Jan 1942; Capt E. W. Stewart, 23 Aug 1942; Maj Kermit A. Tyler, 9 Sep 1942; Maj John E. Little, 25 May 1943; Maj Robert B. Westbrook, 25 Sep 1943

Another......... http://www.afhra.af.mil/search/generalsearch.asp?q=westbrook&btnG.x=29&btnG.y=6&site=AFPW_AFHRA
Another......... P-38 Lightning PTO Aces of World War Two
A book........... 13th Fighter Command in World War II 'Air Combat Over Guadalcanal and the Solomon

Sorry if I have listed things you have.
Can't find anything on the white tail and time periods.

Bill

Thank you for the effort and the links Bill :)
White tail started to be painted in June apparently. We can see the tail of the P-40 in the background on the photo... Westbrook won his 5th victory the 12th of June and the 6th victory the 1st of July.
Westbrook R. B.-P-40F, juin 1943_1.jpg

Last edited:
Robert Westbrook was my 4th cousin 2x remover (ok you got me I'm a family treer)I have found a lot of information on him but have been trying to find some gun cam footage from the P-40f or the P-38. No luck. I have put up a valiant search but there doesn't seem to be a searchable archive anywhere I can find. I thought surely with so digging I could find at least a few seconds, but nothing. Does anyone here know of a site that may have an archive of footage? Even if I can't search his name I have no problem watching hours of it to find some from him, as I'm sure you know the footage is proceeded by the pilots information. Thanks in advance for any help. (Sgt. Coleman)

I don't know about gun camera with P-40 or P-38. But, if you have some others photos of his P-40 or P-38 "Florida Thrush" where we can see the entire aircraft, aircraft No and/or serial) I'm very interested...
Regarding my project, finally, my P-40F "white 104" will be a long tail with white tail with 5 victories during June 1943 (photo above). It seems that he flew a short tail P-40F "white 104" sn41-14104 only early in 1943 (January, February, maybe until April or May)

Last edited:
Thanks Micdrow,
I know this profile (Avions et pilotes N°3 "Curtiss P-40 de 1939 à 1945"). It's a good base but refering to photos above, my project will be something like that:
westbrook.jpg

I found via the net another profile ....

Artwork-Curtiss-P-40F-Warhawk-18FG44FS-W104-Westbrook-Guadalcanal-1943-0A.jpg

Also believing the caption of the pic below these P-40s are the P-40Fs of the 18FG, 44FS over Guadalcanal in 1943 I would say that the third kite is the White 104 ...

Curtiss-P-40F-Warhawk-18FG44FS-over-Guadalcanal-1943-02.jpg

Curtiss-P-40F-Warhawk-18FG44FS-over-Guadalcanal-1943-01.jpg

Hello Wojtek,
It seems the profile you posted is the same that the one posted by Micdrow. I think it's an "interpretation". Refering to photo I posted above, I think my "modified profile" is the most probable in June 1943.
Regarding the photo you posted, GREAT FIND :thumbright: !!! I think you're right, it's a "white 104" (another). After some researches, it seems this photo is dated early in 1943.
Just a little question: what do you think about the color under the rear window ??? Interior green or camo color ?

It has already been discussed somewhere in the forum. But I don't remember exactly where. As memo serves it was about the desert camo for Curtiss P-40. Actually it is quite difficult to state what colour was there. The glass of the rear P-40 windows causes a trouble with ID of the paint used there. These two shots of a discovered wreck of a crashed P-40 at the Egyptian desert a couple of years ago , might suggest there was the camo colour but not the cockpit interior one that can still be seen behind the pilot's seat. Especially if a plane was repainted.

HS-B11.jpg

HS-B19.jpg

However it doesn't seem to be a rule. Here are shots I'm sure you know very good. The P-40s of the Free French Squadron "LaFayette". Please notice that the White 7 has it dark while the next two kites light. Then again the Light Blue (?) 2 has it dark and the next two again light. And again there is one with the dark colour under the glass covering. Is it a coincidence or the glass was of different type or the sunlight trick ? I don't think. Just two different colours applied there. Most authors of P-40 profiles and most of modellers use the interior green for the area. If there is any doubt about what colour should be used I woud follow the standard way or would trust my own intuition , basing on what I can see.

Frenc h P-40_1.jpg

French P-40_2.jpg

French P-40_2a.jpg

French P-40_1a.jpg

French P-40_1.jpg

French P-40_3.jpg

p_40f_7.jpg

p_40f_8.jpg

Last edited:
There was no set rule on the colour under the glazing. However, the British aircraft often used the camouflage colours there as that glazing was relatively simple to remove. However, even then, it was not always done as evidenced by the variations seen in this pic:

HS B 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back