Need help identifying a propeler blade from ww2. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Shicko93

Recruit
Aug 23, 2016
Hello, I work at a dive center on island Vis. We had a RAF airport on the island during ww2 that was used as a half way point for bombers flying from Italy to mainland Europe. Lots of spare parts could be found around the island, and i guessed that a propeler blade in front of the dive center was from there. But yesterday I learned that it was actualy caught by a dredge net along with a whole engine, others were melted down unfortunately so this is the last one. Around the island we have 40+ plane wrecks still missing, by now we only found 4 B-24s (one of them the fameous "Tulsamerican" Where we dive | Wreck diving Croatia | Cave and cavern diving Island Vis | Diving spots Croatia | Underwater photos | Diving Croatia) and 1 B-17 (Where we dive | Wreck diving Croatia | Cave and cavern diving Island Vis | Diving spots Croatia | Underwater photos | Diving Croatia)

It would be amazing if it was possible to determine from which plane this came, on the bottom of the prop i can find this markings:
DWG 6477A- O CHG D HSP 5- MFG No. P 169241
SHANK 6155 CHG. M
. Thank you for using Tinypic Pictures, Thank you for using Tinypic Images, Thank you for using Tinypic Photos, Thank you for using Tinypic Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting I can send aditional photos or info if necessary just tell me what to look for.

The 6477 paddle blade was the standard blade used on the Wright 1820 series, and the P & W 1830 series engines, B-17, B-24, c-47, and later the PBY, plus other aircraft. That blade model was used in the 23E50 propeller model. The "HSP 5" was the alloy specification used to manufacture the blade. The MFG # shows the manufacturer as "P", and the sequential number of the blade from the manufacture. There is no way to trace a blade to a propeller, then to an aircraft, unless you had access to the original records.

I would like to thank everybody for their responses, due to the location where the wreck probably is and the aproximat date of production it all points to a c-47 42-23515 that went MIA sometimes in 1943 or on 9.7.1944.
At the time it was transporting downed pilots recovered by the Yugoslav partizans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back