Need help to identify Soviet biplane (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mar 17, 2014
Hello folks,
I have found the linked image of a Soviet biplane on skis, in winter camo, probably during WWII (or perhaps the Winter War?).

BZ_38_1.jpg

I would like to model this as a diorama using a BZ35 Fuel Bowser.
From this angle I find it hard to identify the type of aircraft.
If anyone can help with identifying the type of aircraft, I would be very grateful.
All best regards

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Fubar :thumbright:,
I think you're right. The prop and cabane struts look right for that. I'm thinking surely those huge bombs to the left of the photograph can't be for this little plane?
It's interesting that there doesn't seem to be a Soviet star on the side of the aircraft..
Thank you for helping.
Best regards
Tony

Looking forward to seeing your build
Thanks Fubar. I have a 1/72 Po 2 in the stash. The cat destroyed the last one I built :cry:. It would be nice if it was one. I've never done a diorama with so many trees so it should be a learning curve and fun!
Tony

It does look like a Po-2/U-2

Hard to tell for sure with the person in the way of the cabane struts and the shroud over the engine.

But the Soviets used the Po-2/U-2 for a great many roles from the 1920's through the end of WWII and the other biplanes in the Red Airforce were somewhat different.

Agree with you about the struts Dave. When looking at the aircraft from the right, the strut should be a reversed "N". This one looks more like a "V" unless they remove the lead strut when working around the engine

True Geo, but the engine is covered with the shroud, which would indicated that it's going to be in service soon, and the other side appears to be the same as well.

Plus, the Po-2/U-2 has an exposed radial, so no need to remove any components (cowling, strut portions, etc.)

Thanks chaps :)
Looking at the underside of the top wing , there seems to be a forward strut to complete a 'и'. It vanishes behind the back of the refueller's/mechanic's jacket around a foot above his waist line.

It's not as high contrast as the other two, but perhaps it has more natural light with the other two more shaded by the wing?
I could be wrong, my screen is faulty so I don't have a very clear picture.

Grasping at straws; I'm looking at the pattern of bulges under the cover and wondering if they agree with the cylinder arrangement of the (Shvetsov?) engine?:-k

It really is an awkward angle, but a great little diorama subject.

I'll be the first to admit that I am far from an expert on Soviet VVS aircraft.

I would add that the several biplane types that the Soviets used during the winter war, continuation war and WWII (great Patriotic war) were easy to distinguish from each other.

It would be nice if we could get Wurger, Juha or Timppa to weigh in, as they are very good with these types.

But I would say that this is either a U-2 or Po-2 (there were subtle differences, but essentially the same aircraft) and would make a great diorama! :thumbleft:

I found this photograph via Google. I'm not sure what the source was as when I click on it, it says the domain has expired:

26FC195A-DD39-4FF9-B2C2-B83125AB8ABB_zps8xpe5x6q.jpg

I chose it as the mechanic is nearly in the same position.

Then I found this image.

po2_4.jpg

It looks pretty similar (he said, hopefully :) )

Thanks for the thumbs up on the diorama.
I had a read of the Wikipedia article, and it may be the variant called a 'U2 LNB'.

Even as night bombers it seems they wore white distemper camo, and it would probably explain those two huge bombs!

If they're around 125kg each, that's was the maximum according to the old Wiki...
Thanks again, looking forward to this.

Best regards
Tony

I agree that's the U-2 ( Po-2 ) biplane. These bombs aren't too heavy for the kite I would say. These are FAB-50 bombs. ....

VVSBomb.jpg

here a couple of pics with different bombs at racks....

U-2_bomb3.jpg

U-2_bomb2.jpg

U-2_bomb1.jpg

U-2_bomb4.jpg

U-2_bomb5.jpg

Also a short filme here ...

Oh.. BTW... I don't think the image was taken at the Winter War but just during a WW2 winter. I would say it could be 1942/1943 . It might have been at the Leningrad or Moscow area.

Last edited:
Great confirmation Wojtek. It's the positioning of the mechanic(?) where the front part of the strut should be that's throwing me off in Tony's first photo, doesn't look right in my eyes. Did they use a Huck starter to get these aircraft started? It would be a good addition to the dio

The enlarged part of the pic shows that the strut is there.

po-2.jpg

I think the appearance of the front strut in the image is because of the angle the shot was taken.. like in the one...

po-2a.jpg

Also, to be honest I don't recall myself if I have ever seen the M-11D engine started with the Huck starter. The engine was to small for that. I would say the mechanic's hand was enough to start the M-11D.

Last edited:
Yes and it would make sense - virtually all of the Soviet biplanes of that era used the "N" cabane strut

That's why, when I first saw the original image, I was scratching my head, because it truly looked like a "V" cabane and I was thinking that was highly unusual and even suspected it may have been a foreign aircraft at one point.

Think that if the entire aircraft were shown when the photograph was originally taken, that would have eliminated any doubts and made it easier for all of us, 75 years later! :lol:

The PO-2 was everywhere, filling a number of roles from bomber to liaison to ambulance. There was even a regiment of Russian female pilots who flew them as night and day bombers, called the Night Witches. Personally I think the bombs in the first photograph are within the ability of the aircraft to carry based on the other photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back