Need help with He 111 canopy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

r2800doublewasp

Senior Airman
Nov 21, 2008
Northern California
Hi i am new to the forum and I just started building models. I am building a 1/72 revell He 111 and I need some help with painting the canopy. I have to hand paint my models (parents wont let me get an airbrush) and I can't seem to find any maskol so I will have to use Tamiya masking tape. Any help on how to paint it is much appreciated. THANKS!

Strewth, mate....you could have picked a kit that is a bit easier to do...a He111 canopy is not an easy one to do in 1/72.....:shock:

Cut the tape into narrow strips and do small sections at a time, might seem like a pain in the butt but if you are careful you should get a reasonable result...

I don't know if it's included in the links posted by Chris, but, in this scale, especially on the shape of the Heinkel canopy, it might be better to use tape for the frame work. You can use Tamiya tape, or even ordinary 'Sellotape' (Scotch tape, I think it's known as in the U.S.A.).
Put a strip on some glass, or similar smooth, clean surface, paint the tape in the desired colour and, when totally dry, cut it into suitable sized strips to represent the framework. Apply to the canopy, pressing down firmly but gently. When done, give the strips a coat of clear varnish, to seal the edges, then, when this is dry, go over the frames themselves with a semi-matt varnish to match the rest of the paintwork.
Again, it's fiddly, as everything on this canopy, in this scale, will be. But, it's probably easier than trying to mask and paint the frames, and provides a realistic result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back