Need help with translation...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

seesul

Senior Master Sergeant
I translated a part of Intops from Aug 29/1944 and there´s one part of sentence I can´t understand:

Those attacks were made 4 abreast and 10 stopped-up and some were in V-formation of 10/20 E/A.

Could anyone help me with those red words using another words or a simple pic of the formation in attachment please?

Thanks in advance!

The four abreast is easy. That would be four in right next to each other. Like soliders standing in formation.

As for the ten stopped up, that is harder. It is pretty ungainly use of english. My guess the translation would be better as, "Attacks were made four abreast and there were ten lines of 4 abreast." That would work.

It would also allow the part with the V formations to work (attacks were made in a V formation as well as abreast).

So the formation was ment to be like this?

sky
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A
ground

or this?

sky
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A--E/A---E/A
ground

roman could it be 10 stepped up then
sky
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A
E/A---E/A---E/A---E/A
ground

would seem correct
and from the side they would look like this
----------------e/a
-----------e/a
-------e/a
-----e/a
e/a

Yeah, I think Rochie has it. Would work against a Combat Box formation. Gives the gunners multiple targets to deal with too. Although, it looks a bit tricky to attack that way. Especially with new pilots.

Thx again!
A friend of mine wants to create a web page next year.Dedicated to the 15th USAAF and Luftwaffe ops over Moravia (east part of Czech Republic). 1st step in Czech language, next steps in English and German...a long distance run...but it´s my long time dream to share all the info I have on Aug. 29, 1944...wish I had more time...
The surviving vets, their fellas KIA and relatives deserve it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back