Need Infor Avenger Squadrons

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucke.stz

Senior Airman
Apr 21, 2008
Brazil
www.spruemaster.com
Hi,

I have small kit from Minicraft, that I don´t know the squadron of these avenger.

On the box are on 8-T-3, this plane is from VT-8 from USS Hornet ?

tbf.jpg

It seems that the Avenger was used by VT-8 torpedo squadron.As memory serves the unit took part in the Battle of Midway in 1942.

Here you are a shot of TBF-1 Avenger of VT-8 unit photographed at NAS Norfolk on 26th March 1942.

The pic source unknown.

Attachments

• TBF-1 Avenger.jpg
    TBF-1 Avenger.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 109
Interesting pic there Wojtek. 8-T-1 was the sole survivor of the six Avengers that launched from Midway Island. 8-T-3 shown on the Minicraft kit box cover was one of the unlucky TBFs.

Note: At the time of the Battle of Midway the red circle inside the white star had been eliminated on all AAF and Navy insignias.

TO

Yes you are right TO. The Avenger wears an early camo scheme used by VT-8. What is more this TB was one of the first Avangers that the unit received. I think it is just that day in the pic.

I have found a few profiles of the machine and the one of the top-box.

Attachments

• TBF-1 Avenger profile3.jpg
    TBF-1 Avenger profile3.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 133
  • TBF-1 Avenger profile1.jpg
    TBF-1 Avenger profile1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 211
  • TBF-1 Avenger profile2.jpg
    TBF-1 Avenger profile2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 134
So undoubtedly these red circles were removed from the US markings in that period.
A nice pic TO.THX for posting.:D

Just once more question, in the time of these model on box, the VT-8 was land based ? When they took to USS Hornet ?

Tks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back