need suggestions.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

spanishbuddha

Airman
Oct 26, 2021
I have a Breville Big Squeeze juicer. I have never juiced anything before. I am not doing a juice cleanse and I am not trying to substitute meals. My goal here is to supplement my current diet with more vitamins and nutrients from vegetables and also to provide my kids with a better juice than store-bought. With that in mind I have a few questions:

1. My instruction manual specifically states you should not juice fruits/veggies with hard seeds and listed apples as an example. It says the apple core should not be run through the juicer, yet every instructional video I have seen of this juicer has entire whole apples being used. Is this ok? What about carrots and things with stems? Every video I see just has the whole thing going into the juicer, no trimming or anything. Is that the best way?
  2. Similar to question 1, the manual says to peel any and all citrus and only juice the core, yet I see online people juicing whole lemons and oranges quite frequently. Is it ok to juice the peel of oranges and such? tomato juicer for canning
  3. I will mainly be using this juice for my morning and afternoon protein smoothie to avoid using milk (apparently as healthy as I try to live, my cholesterol is still a little high). Generally speaking, blending whole vegetables and such is difficult in a blender, but missing out on the insoluble fiber from the body of the veggies is also a bit disappointing in some regards. Is there anything that can be done with the dried-out body or is it best to just throw it out?
  4. Again, my instruction manual suggested not to put nuts in the device, but I've seen instructional videos on how to make almond milk in the juicer. Safe?
  5. Any advice on how to maximize my output and the most affordable cost and time. I am limited on time so I am going to try to make a couple of gallons at a time. Also any advice in general, I am all ears!

Last edited:
re the not using the blender on seeds

My understanding is that some (harder) seeds can splinter and produce very sharp needle-like shards that can poke holes in the lining of the mouth and esophagus, as well as getting jammed between the teeth. When you chew food you tend to notice the hard sharp bits and separate them out/spit them out. When you drink fluids you do not expect to have sharp bits in the fluid, so are much more likely to swallow them. Not including seeds when blending is a known no-no in nursing homes and child care facilities.

Well, it depends on which country's blenders we are discussing here, I mean, Japanese blenders for example had very long utilisation periods and were very manoeuvrable at low speeds, whereas American blenders are hardy and take a heck of a pounding, but early on they suffered from a lack of altitude performance, which is no good if you live in La Paz, Bolivia. German blenders were technologically advanced and there are many rumours about just how good German blenders are, but you have to be careful because they are often attributed with abilities that simply could not have happened within the time specified during their development, bottom line is, don't believe everything you read about German blenders on the internet!

As for British blenders, their electrics are awful, even if the motors are good, some of them anyway. One of the best British blenders, somewhat surprisingly was a wooden one, which surprised everyone that a wooden blender would do so well, but it did and every command and country wanted this 'wonder', but production was limited to British household needs.

Russian blenders, well, the fact they build tractors in the same factory says it all. They might have lots of them, but their reliability varies. French blenders tend to work in reverse and none of the controls make sense, and they are uggg lee! Italian blenders at least look good, even if they don't always work that well and are not available in large numbers...

What have I missed...?

1635308686928.png

There is a more important reason you don't want to run seeds through it. A number of them contain poisons that are released when crushed. Apple seeds for example contain amygdalin which when crushed helps release cyanide into the blood stream.
The average adult would need to eat anywhere from 150 to several thousand crushed seeds (depending on the apple variety) to be at risk of cyanide poisoning. The average apple contains only about five to eight seeds. That's why they don't put warning labels on apples. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back