New 1:72 Scale Airfix "Scooter"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

plheure2

Senior Airman
Nov 9, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
Greetings, gents:

Has anyone bought or better yet, built, the new-tooled 1:72 scale Airfix A-4 Skyhawk? I believe it is offered with both US Navy and Argentine markings. I know it isn't a World War II aircraft, but I'm just trying to garner opinions before I plunk down cash to go buy it. If I do, I have a killer Argentine camo scheme I want to do it up in! :D

I'll let you know in around a week. I've just ordered one for Evan (A4K), so it should arrive by the end of this week, or early next. I'm sure Evan won't mind me opening the box and photographing the parts.

Sorry for the delay - I was out when the Hannant's delivery arrived, and had to collect the package from the P.O. today.
Here's the new 1/72nd scale Airfix A4B/A4P Skyhawk kit, and I'll let the photos tell most of the story.
Just a few points to help sort out 'what's what' in the photos:
The kit comes in a relatively sturdy box, with separate top and bottom, the latter providing a handy 'work tray'.
Bearing in mind I very rarely build anything in 1/72nd scale, and then normally 'bomber size', this kit appears to be well moulded, with clean, crisp detail and panel lines, with one small exception - the pilot figure. This is the only part of the kit which shows evidence of flash and 'soft' moulding, and, from the style of flying kit, and the 'sleeping' posture, with hands on knees, I'm fairly sure that this is a generic figure, from earlier Airfix releases (late 80s to mid 90s?), 'dropped in' to the sprues. But I guess it's a minor point, as most modellers probably wouldn't use the figure anyway and, if it is used, can be cleaned - up to an acceptable level, allowing for what little could be seen in the small cockpit.
The cockpit is equipped with the normal 'tub', control column and instrument panel, with decals for the panel and side consoles, and a reasonable ejection seat is provided, in four parts, with basic harness detail moulded in (Pavla provide a resin 'Aces' seat if required).
The canopy and windscreen are separate items, and appear clear, with moulded frame detail, although, in order to prevent possible damage or scratches, I didn't remove the parts from the separate poly bag for the photos.
Separate parts are provided for the leading edge wing slats, and the speed brakes, the latter having good internal detail, and the actuating rams, and a separate refuelling probe is also provided, as well as the small 'hump' for the Argentinian version.
A selection of pics show some of the main parts of the well laid-out instruction sheet, which also has colour profiles for the two versions which can be modelled.
The decals are well printed and in register, and provide for the aforementioned Argentine Skyhawk, as used in the Falklands conflict of 1982 (heck, I'm getting old - seems like only a couple of years ago!), and a US Navy bird from 1966.
The detail shots show various parts, including the engine turbine, main wheel wells and ejection seat, and hopefully these should give a reasonable idea of what the kit is like.
The last time I built a 'Scooter' was over 30 years ago, and, if I recall correctly, this was either the Hasegawa or Fujimi 1/72nd scale kit which, for the time, was considered to be a very good, well detailed kit, and was priced accordingly, somewhat more expensive than the average Airfix, Monogram or Revell kit of the era.
From what I remember of that kit, as 'advanced' as it might have been for it's time, I think this new Airfix offering probably beats it, certainly in terms of overall detail and positionable parts, and, considering the ever-increasing prices of kits today, at £9.99 seems reasonable. (Personally, I think many 1/72nd scale kits, of this size at least, are perhaps a little over-priced, in relation to the material costs, compared to an equivalent in 1/48th scale, and maybe some manufacturers should take a look at Revell [Germany], and the way they can turn out really excellent, larger-scaled kits, at very reasonable prices.).
Hope this helps, and the kit is now being re-packaged, for onward transmission to Evan !

Attachments

• Buys 166.jpg
    Buys 166.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Buys 168.jpg
    Buys 168.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Buys 169.jpg
    Buys 169.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Buys 171.jpg
    Buys 171.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Buys 172.jpg
    Buys 172.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 151
  • Buys 173.jpg
    Buys 173.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Buys 174.jpg
    Buys 174.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 154
  • Buys 175.jpg
    Buys 175.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 140
  • Buys 176.jpg
    Buys 176.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 159
  • Buys 177.jpg
    Buys 177.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Buys 178.jpg
    Buys 178.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Buys 180.jpg
    Buys 180.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 147
  • Buys 181.jpg
    Buys 181.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 151
  • Buys 182.jpg
    Buys 182.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Buys 184.jpg
    Buys 184.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Buys 185.jpg
    Buys 185.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Buys 187.jpg
    Buys 187.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 164
  • Buys 188.jpg
    Buys 188.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 145
Thanks my friend. I took the photos in a bit of a rush, and looking at them now, I notice some fairly heavy sprue attachment points, some in rather awkward places.
Those attachment points on the drop tanks, and the fuselage fin fillet in particular, will need very careful attention during removal, and I think some sanding will be required to 'renovate' the cut areas.
Seems a shame, to turn out what looks like a nice mould, then potentially spoil things with such an 'invasion' of heavy sprue attachments.

Thanks my friend. I took the photos in a bit of a rush, and looking at them now, I notice some fairly heavy sprue attachment points, some in rather awkward places.
Those attachment points on the drop tanks, and the fuselage fin fillet in particular, will need very careful attention during removal, and I think some sanding will be required to 'renovate' the cut areas.
Seems a shame, to turn out what looks like a nice mould, then potentially spoil things with such an 'invasion' of heavy sprue attachments.

Totally agree old boy! If it's one pet peeve I have today with Airfix and their kits, it's their heavy and ugly sprue attachments....
Hopefully, as time goes, with new kits etc., I hope that they'll sort those out and do something about their plain cockpits!

Great info otherwise Red Leader, even if in wrong scale! :lol:

It is not the wrong scale. It is just for more advanced guys.... :lol:

Seems to be a common theme with all the new Airfix kits. I have this kit also and can't wait to start it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back