New Dambusters Film Remake By Peter Jackson..

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I kinda agree with GeeDee but only that there isn't any new material out there? The Dambusters movie was done in '55 and not bad but how about another slice of aviation war history? Maybe about the Allied shuttle flight to Russia. Something about the MTO (Marseillies?), hell, even a good film about Galland or someone unknown. I just think there is so much more out there instead of remaking old films.

I agree Chris, although I admit to a 'technical' interest in how Jackson et al are going to make this movie. It would be good to see something 'new', and there are so many other well-known raids in Europe alone that could be covered. The 8th USAAF alone could provide a multitude of screenplays, then there's the ones we know about, but are rarely publicised, such as the Amiens raid, and the other low-level, long range attacks by Mosquitos on the Gestapo H.Q's in Denmark, Norway etc, and, of course, Ploesti. One of the Ploesti missions alone would make a superb movie, and educate 'the masses' who will never have heard of it, let alone know where it is and what it was/is.

Maybe he could make a Pearl Harbour movie. There hasn't been an accurate one done of that...

The thing is, this has been a life-long ambition for him, to make this movie, as a tribute to those who flew these missions. He is in a position to make the movies he wants to, and is fulfilling his dream. Yes, it would be nice to see other operations portrayed on film, but that wouldn't suffice.

I think a film on Erich Hartmann could be spectacular. They could start with his story as a kid going to China with his parents, eventually being forced out again because of the Chinese civil war etc etc.

I always become slightly wary when Hollwood gets its grubby mitts on British history - 'U-571' or 'The Patriot', anyone? However, it sounds like Jackson wants to get this right, so good luck to him and I hope he makes it.

By thw way Gary, where did you get Mel Gibson's Dambusters script from anyway? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wasn't Tora Tora Tora accurate? I am always interested to see where movies went wrong.

Of course no movie can be truly accurate, real life always needs to be tweaked a bit to allow a coherent narrative that will carry an audience. An example of this is how all the Schneider Trophy pilots and Supermarine test pilots are merged into the character of 'Jeff Crisp' in first of the few. However there is a difference between a tweak (Battle of Britain) and a downright lie (U-571 et al).

We'll know if this film is accurate if Guy Gibson has a big pimple on his chin!! It was right under his flying helmet chin strap, and hurt so much he flew with it undone !
(From his censored autobiography 'Enemy Coast Ahead', produced as a morale booster for his fellow bomber pilots in 1944 (published as a book after the war), shortly before his loss in action. He was 24...)

The problem with any historical film is that they have to find a balance between story telling and reality, then catering for enthusiasts and the general public. For example, if the film comes out and the Lancasters have the wrong paint scheme, most people on here would recognise that but 99% of the general public won't. In the same way if I went to see a film set in Ancient Greece I wouldn't know or care they used the wrong type of sword.

It does seem odd there are so few big budget WW2 aviation films. Unless you count the atrocity that was Pearl Harbor, the last one I can think of off the top of my head is Memphis Belle. Still, Jackson is a very talented film maker and I fully expect this to be awesome. More controversially, I'd love them to remake films like 633 Squadron and Battle of Britain as well

I'd love to see a revamped BoB film too - with Spitfire Mk.Is (not IXs), Bf 109s and He 111's without Merlin engines, aswell as all the other beautiful aircraft that got missed out due to lack of flying or even static examples...
The acting was great though - if that could be kept with the 'new' aircraft added...

As long as it doesn't stink up the place like both Memphis Bell and Pearl Harbor did. Lord, those were truly gawdawful movies!!:mad:

As long as it doesn't stink up the place like both Memphis Bell and Pearl Harbor did. Lord, those were truly gawdawful movies!!:mad:

You're right. At least there was footage of the WW2 aircraft. I'll watch it for that (and that only).

What about "Enemy at the Gates"? That could have been a great movie, but they used an English actor (with his accent) and Ed Harris, all speaking English. If they could have used believable actors (maybe a Russian actor, even if he was unknown) with Russian and German language. I know some people have a problem with subtitles, but it makes it more realistic, like Das Boot).

If I remember rightly in the opening scenes of Enemy at the Gates the Germans actually spoke German then it switched? Still, I'd rather them speak proper English than do it wiv zee German akkscent

Und vot ist your problem vif zeir English du schweinkopf??? :D :D :D

(Reminds me of 'Allo 'allo - now THAT was a great series!)

Ah, zey vere serchink for der Fallen Madonna with der Big Boobies, ja?

Of course, the French accents were nearly as hilarious as the German ones, and the sheer quantity of smut and innuendo was beyond belief - ah, when comedy ised to be funny! :lol::lol::lol:

I looks like its on its way.

This is a Chinese built replica

file.php

Back ground doesn't look much like Lincolnshire!!

Memphis Belle had some color footage of -17's dropping their loads, IIRC. Otherwise, it was a feely-good movie. Pearl Harbor just plain sucked. The only good thing about that movie (other than the planes) was Kate Beckinsale. Enemy at the Gates I watched with the "its only an action movie" mindset. Its not bad if you can turn your mind off to the glaring inaccuracies (and the set crew climbing up the chimney to plant explosives...wearing bright orange vests...in the middle of a battle....in Stalingrad...). 'Bout the only GOOD WW2 films I've seen in awhile are Band of Brothers and The Great Raid. Only inaccuracy I noticed in Great Raid was the fact that they didn't use a P-61 in the movie. Man, I woulda loved to see one of those in the air...

If we're talking recent films then be sure to check out Saints Soldiers and Days of Glory. Both done on a very small budget but still enjoyable. Defiance isn't too bad either

Memphis Belle had some color footage of -17's dropping their loads, IIRC. Otherwise, it was a feely-good movie. Pearl Harbor just plain sucked. The only good thing about that movie (other than the planes) was Kate Beckinsale. Enemy at the Gates I watched with the "its only an action movie" mindset. Its not bad if you can turn your mind off to the glaring inaccuracies (and the set crew climbing up the chimney to plant explosives...wearing bright orange vests...in the middle of a battle....in Stalingrad...). 'Bout the only GOOD WW2 films I've seen in awhile are Band of Brothers and The Great Raid. Only inaccuracy I noticed in Great Raid was the fact that they didn't use a P-61 in the movie. Man, I woulda loved to see one of those in the air...

Yeah, the Great Raid is one of my favorites. No PC crap that I saw, and kept extremely well to the facts. I think they had to use a different plane, because there was no P-61 in flying condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back