New Dambusters Film Remake By Peter Jackson..

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wish I could see a movie about the P-61's night missions, nightfighting was a pretty tough thing back then, with the limited radar systems they had.

I'm starting to look forward to Red Tails, for the flying scenes, even if the rest of the movie isn't that good. If George Lucas can make his dogfights as good as the one over the first Death Star, then I'll be pretty happy. With reduced speed of course, P-51's and FW 190's can't go as fast as the X-wings and Tie-fighters!

Just had a thought, Red Tails, and possibly Dambusters, could be the first time we really see a good FW 190 on film, unless you count the pretty exciting "Dogfights" on the History Channel. It's really never been done before. Sure, they may be CGI, but it's better than nothing. Even real P-51's have been pretty lacking in cinema history.

Last edited:
I'm starting to look forward to Red Tails, for the flying scenes, even if the rest of the movie isn't that good. If George Lucas can make his dogfights as good as the one over the first Death Star, then I'll be pretty happy. With reduced speed of course, P-51's and FW 190's can't go as fast as the X-wings and Tie-fighters!

Probably common knowledge but the Death Star attack is very strongly influenced by the end of Dambusters. Even some of the dialogue is the same ("say about 20 guns, some on the surface and some on the towers)

Probably common knowledge but the Death Star attack is very strongly influenced by the end of Dambusters. Even some of the dialogue is the same ("say about 20 guns, some on the surface and some on the towers)

Thats actually exactly what influenced it... George Lucas looked at the footage to base the attack off of. Also he cited 633 Squadron as a source... This is from the Star Wars Wiki

"Lucas has made mention of the film "633 Squadron" directed by Walter Grauman when citing movies that inspired themes or elements in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. The "trench run" in A New Hope wherein Luke flies his X-wing through a "trench" on the Death Star and destroys the ship was inspired, at least in small part, by the finale of 633 Squadron, which involves several Royal Air Force planes flying at low level up a fjord against heavy, ground-based anti-aircraft fire, to attack a factory located at the base of a cliff at the canyon's end."

I saw an interview with George Lucas where he revealed that that not only was the choreography of the death star attack scenes a direct rip off from the Dambusters, 633 Squadron and Battle of Britain combined, but in the first test screening of Star Wars, before the effects were done, the actual footage from those movies was spliced in to illustrate the scenes. That must have made for some bizarre viewing.

Keep in mind that Jackson is only producing the movie, not directing it. Another Kiwi (who I'd never heard of) is the actual director. But I'm sure Jackson's special effects team at Weta will turn that single mockup into hundreds of bombers and the New Zealand mountains into the Rhine valley in the 1940's. I just hope we see CG Bf-109s rather than those Merlin-engined things. In fact, I hope all the flying scenes are computer-generated, with mockups and actual planes used only for gound scenes and interior shots. These days, special effects are far more realistic than the real thing.

Keep in mind that Jackson is only producing the movie, not directing it. Another Kiwi (who I'd never heard of) is the actual director. But I'm sure Jackson's special effects team at Weta will turn that single mockup into hundreds of bombers and the New Zealand mountains into the Rhine valley in the 1940's. I just hope we see CG Bf-109s rather than those Merlin-engined things. In fact, I hope all the flying scenes are computer-generated, with mockups and actual planes used only for gound scenes and interior shots. These days, special effects are far more realistic than the real thing.

Dambusters!

Starring:

Jude Law as Barnes Wallis!

Keira Knightley as Hermann Goering!

Mel Gibson as the Mohne Dam!

Thrill as the plucky young American boys of the RAF destroy secret Nazi dams in Venezuela!

It's the historical accuracy that worries me most...

...There they were, hurtling along at 800 mph in their new US license built B-52 Mustang bombers (recognisable by their special 'Made in China' markings), props touching the water, AIM-9L Sidewinder missiles ready to unleash holy hell on the evil forces of the German KGB Liberal party in their secret headquarters at the local Ruhr-Gebiet public swimming pool... the attack commences amidst heavy SCUD fire, a dog barks 'Negro' in his exposed position behind the pilot...

Last edited:
several corrections need to be made to A4Ks post after extensive research it has been found that the swimming pool is the HQ of the speznaz knitting circle the actual target is 2 doors down at the post office .and every body knows the b52 mustang uses the geo thermal link drive and doesnt have props

Really? Ah...sorry! I thought we were talking about the famous 'Hey, that's MY chocolate!' war of Zimbabwe, 1867...always get the two mixed up... :oops:

Dambusters!

Starring:

Jude Law as Barnes Wallis!

Keira Knightley as Hermann Goering!

Mel Gibson as the Mohne Dam!

Thrill as the plucky young American boys of the RAF destroy secret Nazi dams in Venezuela!

It's the historical accuracy that worries me most...

Actually, Knightly has signed on to play Hannah Reisch, infamous Nazi test pilot.

In the film she single-handedly takes on the attacking Lancs in an experimental Me 636 rocket saucer. She shoots down all but one. She then rams the lone remaining bomber piloted by Angelina Jolie and Clive Owen, who are secret lovers. Knightley, who managed to jump onto the bomber during the collision,then fights Jolie with a knife on the flight deck. After a rousingly good catfight, Jolie finally shoves Knightley through a conveniently placed hatch in the cockpit and we see her splash in the water of the lake, alive and cursing (leaving room for a sequel). While the girls are fighting, Owen is down in the bomb bay trying to release the dambuster bomb (which in the movie looks just like the H-bomb in Dr Strangelove). Finally he succeeds, but has caught his trowser leg on a fin. As the bomb drops, Owen must ride it to to his death. Jolie looks on in horror from the cockpit and the two heroes mouth "I hove you" to each other. The bomb strikes the dam and the structure explodes, revealing that it was not only a dam, but the secret manufacturing plant for Nazi atom bombs. The is a brief epilogue in which Jolie receives the Order of the Bath and then flies a Mosquito back to the ruined dam and drops the award over the grave of her dead lover. In the final scene, we see Knightley, resplendant in super-sexy black Nazi garb, but scarred and almost unrecognizable from her injuries, pick up the medal and glare wickedly at the Mosquito as it zooms away. She is holding the medal in the palm of her hand, which we now see is an artificial prosthetic a la Darth Vader. We close into her hand and we see it crush the medal into dust. Fade to black.

Last edited:
Actually, Knightly has signed on to play Hannah Reisch, infamous Nazi test pilot.

In the film she single-handedly takes on the attacking Lancs in an experimental Me 636 rocket saucer. She shoots down all but one. She then rams the lone remaining bomber piloted by Angelina Jolie and Clive Owen, who are secret lovers. Knightley, who managed to jump onto the bomber during the collision,then fights Jolie with a knife on the flight deck. After a rousingly good catfight, Jolie finally shoves Knightley through a conveniently placed hatch in the cockpit and we see her splash in the water of the lake, alive and cursing (leaving room for a sequel). While the girls are fighting, Owen is down in the bomb bay trying to release the dambuster bomb (which in the movie looks just like the H-bomb in Dr Strangelove). Finally he succeeds, but has caught his trowser leg on a fin. As the bomb drops, Owen must ride it to to his death. Jolie looks on in horror from the cockpit and the two heroes mouth "I hove you" to each other. The bomb strikes the dam and the structure explodes, revealing that it was not only a dam, but the secret manufacturing plant for Nazi atom bombs. The is a brief epilogue in which Jolie receives the Order of the Bath and then flies a Mosquito back to the ruined dam and drops the award over the grave of her dead lover. In the final scene, we see Knightley, resplendant in super-sexy black Nazi garb, but scarred and almost unrecognizable from her injuries, pick up the medal and glare wickedly at the Mosquito as it zooms away. She is holding the medal in the palm of her hand, which we now see is an artificial prosthetic a la Darth Vader. We close into her hand and we see it crush the medal into dust. Fade to black.

You know what? I'd pay to watch that... :lol:

I'll just go against the (very imaginative!) tide as say, I think its all going to be pretty marvellous. :)

Jacksons own interest in aviation history, not to mentions his bloody marvellous WW1 flying replicas of the FE.2d etc, makes me less fearful of the historical accuracy and the involvement of official 'national treasure' Stephen Fry on the writing side is also something I see as a 'good thing'.

I adore the original, but am also looking forward to this one too. They will make a great DVD box set one day :)

No historical film will ever be 100% accurate. let's be honest, even if they did use B-17s most people wouldn't actually know the difference. Same way that I could watch a film set in the middle ages and not know they were using the wrong type of armour. At the end of the day they have a story to tell so some artistic licence will always be used

Users who are viewing this thread

Back