New Dambusters Film Remake By Peter Jackson.. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No historical film will ever be 100% accurate. let's be honest, even if they did use B-17s most people wouldn't actually know the difference. Same way that I could watch a film set in the middle ages and not know they were using the wrong type of armour. At the end of the day they have a story to tell so some artistic licence will always be used

Well, there's artistic license and then there is just plain sloppy film making. "Pearl Harbor" exhibited both. The dolled-up make up of the nurses at Pearl Harbor and the RAF base on what looked to be an estate was legitimate artistic license to evoke a time and place. Having Japanese aircraft take off from a post-war US aircraft carrier or the USS Missouri and some post-war Spruance-class DDs at Pearl Harbor was just plain sloppy and insulting. When "Tora-Tora-Tora" was made that was possibly excusable, given the state of special effects at the time. But today, when virtually any time and place can be accurately presented with CGI, and when" Pearl Harbor" itself made good use of CGI and accurate sets in some scenes, using modern stand ins was just plain lazy.

Well....that rips it up !. It's been confirmed that Digger will take the place of N!gger in the remake :evil:

BBC News - Dam Busters dog renamed for movie remake

This is about a total cluster f**k as is possible to make in a historical film.

Crickey, whatever next ?....Tom Cruise never actually won the Battle of Britain on his own !... The Enigma coding machine was a falacy, they actually used Bluetooth back in those days !... The Longest Day actually happened on the shortest day and no-one was really injured !...

Sorry, but this just sucks !

Hmm. And the Lancs will be painted in 'Non Reflective' underside colours, instead of b*ack.
At least it sounds like the film is going ahead, after such a gap in production.

Well....that rips it up !. It's been confirmed that Digger will take the place of N!gger in the remake :evil:

This is about a total cluster f**k as is possible to make in a historical film.

So now Australians are dogs.

For all those in a snit about the original name of the dog, I would think it would be good way to show the racism that existed back in the day.

I can tell you that here in the States, that would never fly, regardless of historical accuracy. Some things are just taboo with the general public around here - especially that word even if used in a proper context.

Good point Terry. If we're not careful, they'll start calling the New Zealand 'All Blacks' rugby team 'the non-whites' soon.

In the U.S. we have had very educated men figuratively crucified for using the word "niggardly" in public speeches when referring to failure to provide enough support to an issue. Niggard has no connection in etymology to the word "******". I think a University professor was almost forced to resign. In the context of historical accuracy words that are appropriate to understanding should be used by educated people. Unfortunately, I have a rather low opinion of the level of history education of the average american. There are alway a great many people in every country just waiting for a chance to pounce on any statement that could be miss-interpreted or taken out of context just so they can vent their anger with the frustrations of daily life or express superiority with ape-like chest beating.

I loved the original movie as a kid. I am willing to excuse the PC to see a remake with modern special effects, color and high definition.

P.S. The dam busting mission was probably another that B-17s and B-24s would not be able to perform or perform as well. Great plane the Lanc.

Last edited:
In the U.S. we have had very educated men figuratively crucified for using the word "niggardly" in public speeches when referring to failure to provide enough support to an issue. Niggard has no connection in etymology to the word "******". I think on University professor was almost forced to resign. In the context of historical accuracy words that are appropriate to understanding should be used by educated people. Unfortunately, I have a rather low opinion of the level of history education of the average american. There are alway a great many people in every country just waiting for a chance to pounce on any statement that could be miss-interpreted or taken out of context just so they can vent their anger with the frustrations of daily life or express superiority with ape-like chest beating.

I loved the original movie as a kid. I am willing to excuse the PC to see a remake with modern special effects, color and high definition.

P.S. The dam busting mission was probably another that B-17s and B-24s would not be able to perform or perform as well. Great plane the Lanc.

Ummm...If the dogs name was ****** then what offence could possibly be taken in the remake of Dam Busters?
I'm slightly surprised that the Germans haven't called 'foul' for the British bringing up the 'War' again..after all we are now 'friends' in Europe and old differences are forgotten. Are they not :rolleyes:
If a film was made about dropping the A bomb on Japan would Enola Gay be renamed?
Dear oh dear.

The breaching of the damns by the RAF, Barnes Wallace and the Lancaster is a moment of pride for us and I hope the film treats it with the respect it deserves.
Cheers
John

Regardless of the nationalities, political systems, and historical background of this event; all human beings should enjoy and marvel at the demonstration of human ingenuity to find an unconventional solution to a complex problem and the courage of humans to attempt that solution under mortal threat.

It is a question of economics purely and simply. The US is too big a market to risk losing so you will just have to put up with in much the same way as I have to put up with the lack of swastika marlkings on decal sheets and some die cast aircraft because other markets have banned the sale or display of that symbol, even though to me it has no political significance, I'm only interested in an accurate representation of the original subject. This symbol offends many people and inddeed is legally banned in some areas, so I have to put up with inaccuracy because those markets are too large to be lost for the manufacturer. It is the same situation here and is ridculous in either case, History is what it was, but now the powers that be have decided that it must be "revised" my two cents

It is a question of economics purely and simply. The US is too big a market to risk losing so you will just have to put up with in much the same way as I have to put up with the lack of swastika marlkings on decal sheets and some die cast aircraft because other markets have banned the sale or display of that symbol, even though to me it has no political significance, I'm only interested in an accurate representation of the original subject. This symbol offends many people and inddeed is legally banned in some areas, so I have to put up with inaccuracy because those markets are too large to be lost for the manufacturer. It is the same situation here and is ridculous in either case, History is what it was, but now the powers that be have decided that it must be "revised" my two cents

I know that you are right norab, but the PC issue still grates on me. As you say history is history warts and all. I'm not saying its great, right, moral or anything else all I want is accuracy.
Cheers
John

Exactly right and I don't agree with it. But at the expense of losing a chance for people to learn about an important event in history.....I'm ok with changing the dog's name.

oh, and Norab I deleted those extra posts for you. :)

...Interesting point on the 'Enola Gay' John. As the word (which still meant 'happy' then) has a completely different meaning now, but is still politically acceptical, it wouldn't be changed. If she'd been called the 'Enola Faggot' on the other hand... (although a faggot was originally a bundle of lead pipes or sticks, like those carried on tanks in WW I to fill trenches for example).

Terry, this is the interesting racial situation in New Zealand: If I (being white without any maori blood in me) call someone of the latter category any racial name you can think of, I am a racist. If someone does this in official circles, or in a work place, people are screaming 'racial rites tribunal' and trying to screw the individual/ company for as much money as possible.
If a maori, or atleast a white with any percentage of maori blood in them (no pure bloods since 1992), calls me a white sh!t, or says 'go home English!' (as they did during a protest in one of the towns I lived in), guess what happens? NOTHING. Insulting a white isn't classed as racism.
Now tell me who the real racists are?

Last edited:
Why should they? They make movies about the war themselves.

Other than Das Boot, which I have seen at least two different versions, I don't recall any German productions shown here in the States. Are there any you know of available here with sub-titles or dubbing that you recommend? I have seen a few films that plot is from the German perspective, but they were not German productions. I think it would be very interesting to see events from a truly German perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back