New Dambusters Film Remake By Peter Jackson.. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

True, but its fashionable in Europe to be anti English.
Cheers
John

Not that I've noticed but okay. I find the British are looked upon very favorably here in Germany (just not your football team ;)).

Other than Das Boot, which I have seen at least two different versions, I don't recall any German productions shown here in the States. Are there any you know of available here with sub-titles or dubbing that you recommend? I have seen a few films that plot is from the German perspective, but they were not German productions. I think it would be very interesting to see events from a truly German perspective.

I can try and come up with a list for you, but most of them will not have been shown in US theaters. But there are plenty of WW2 movies that filmed here by Germany companies.

There's several on U-tube, a little hard to watch because it's limited to 10-15 minutes per clip. Sub-titled , or sometimes dubed in english. Also Russian, Finn, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Italin, and more, they're all out there, you just have to look.

Some great German war films are 'Stalingrad' and 'Der Untergang' ('Downfall' in English). Well worth seeing.

Not that I've noticed but okay. I find the British are looked upon very favorably here in Germany (just not your football team ;)).

Ah, but are British and English considered the same thing? At the risk of splitting hairs I am an Englishman first, then British.
One of the football highlights is England V Germany. We love that competition and beating Germany has a very special feeling... probably because it doesn't happen too often since 1966.:lol:
Cheers
John

...Interesting point on the 'Enola Gay' John. As the word (which still meant 'happy' then) has a completely different meaning now, but is still politically acceptical, it wouldn't be changed. If she'd been called the 'Enola Faggot' on the other hand... (although a faggot was originally a bundle of lead pipes or sticks, like those carried on tanks in WW I to fill trenches for example).

Terry, this is the interesting racial situation in New Zealand: If I (being white without any maori blood in me) call someone of the latter category any racial name you can think of, I am a racist. If someone does this in official circles, or in a work place, people are screaming 'racial rites tribunal' and trying to screw the individual/ company for as much money as possible.
If a maori, or atleast a white with any percentage of maori blood in them (no pure bloods since 1992), calls me a white sh!t, or says 'go home English!' (as they did during a protest in one of the towns I lived in), guess what happens? NOTHING. Insulting a white isn't classed as racism.
Now tell me who the real racists are?

You have hit the nail on the head.
We bend over backwards not cause offence to everyone except the white heterosexual male female.
This is just another cycle and sense will prevail in the end ( I hope)
Cheers
John

Thanks Guys for the recommendations of Stalingrad and Downfall. I'll try to locate them. After you mentioned Downfall, I remembered hearing about it in a recently hoax dubbing on U-tube that was mentioned in News. I'll avoid that copy.

I actually lived in Germany from Fall 1988 to Summer 1990, but never saw any movies other than those at the post/base theaters and at the two theaters in Frankfurt that played undubed American movies. I have seen many Non-U.S. produced films with subtitles and dubbing, but don't recall even hearing about any German made war movies showing in the U.S. for many years. We have a theater only five minutes away that specializes in "Foreign" and "Art" films which is were I saw the short version of "Das Boot" almost thirty years ago.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back