New guy from tennesse

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mountzionryan

Recruit
Oct 22, 2012
My son (now 11) got me into modeling. I built a few when I was his age, but quit as I got older. Last October, for his birthday, we were at the hobby shop looking at diecast models and I told him we could get a kit and build it together for his birthday.

We choose the Revell P-61 Black Widow. A model I had built when I was about his age! It went pretty well for a first model. I got the guns in upside down, glued my fingers multiple times, and lost the decals. But suffice it to say that the Black Window bit me and now I am really enjoying myself.

Between eBay and a couple of shows, I acquired some old kits to practice with. My plan is to work on skills with inexpensive kits. Plus the box art on some of those old kits is to good to pass up.

So far I have built the following:

• A horrible AviationUsk F1M2 Pete. I am pretty proud of how it has turned out actually, given the low quality of the kit. (90% complete, somehow I lost the vac-formed canopy).
  • Grumman Duck from Airfix (c. 1973). Needs painting.
  • Hawker Sea Fury from Frog (c. 1963).
  • Revell ME 262 needs paint (1960's)
  • Airfix C-47 (c. 1960 kit) needs paint

I am working on my first of 4 PBY Catalinas. I have PBY-2, PBY-4, PBY-5, and PBY-5A in my stash. It's my favorite plane and I snagged an ebay sale of all 4 together for about $40!

Most of my interest is in WWII seaplanes and flying boats. However, My son is a huge aviation fan and together we are planning on several other WWII fighters. Additionally I have a couple of ships in the stash to try at some point.

My biggest wishlist item right now is an airbrush.

Last edited:
G'day Ryan! From another expat now in the colonies, welcome to the best bunch of misfits ever assembled in one place………………………………..just kidding guy's, you're a great team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back