New here (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

CrotalusKid

Airman
Jan 9, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma
What's to say, I love WWII aircraft. I'm a big fan of Luftwaffe, Soviet, Italian and Japanese aircraft, but I like them all. I also enjoy modeling, mostly in 1/48 scale. Anyone else fascinated with late-war luftwaffe "hodge-podge" paint schemes? I sure am! And yes, I do believe in RLM 84.

Technically speaking, there was never a RLM designated type 84 color found in any Luftwaffe documents. That was a reference made up in the early 80's in an attempt to identify about 4 variations of a shade of skyblue that was very close to RLM76 (these odd colors sometimes referred to as grünblau, graublau, lichtblau, etc) that was found on latewar aircraft (such as the Do335, He162, Me262, Fw190, etc) which could have been a result of combining existing stocks, poor quality control, mistaken pigmentation and so on. The debate will probably never be completely settled since so much time, evidence and the people themselves have slipped away...

Anyway, welcome to the forums.

Technically speaking, there was never a RLM designated type 84 color found in any Luftwaffe documents. That was a reference made up in the early 80's in an attempt to identify about 4 variations of a shade of skyblue that was very close to RLM76 (these odd colors sometimes referred to as grünblau, graublau, lichtblau, etc) that was found on latewar aircraft (such as the Do335, He162, Me262, Fw190, etc) which could have been a result of combining existing stocks, poor quality control, mistaken pigmentation and so on. The debate will probably never be completely settled since so much time, evidence and the people themselves have slipped away...

Anyway, welcome to the forums.

My comment was a little vague.
I am aware the there was never an 84, I was just referring to my love of using it when modeling. Any chance I get to model a late-war craft with a non-regulation RLM76 (if that makes any sense at all!), I take. I love the confusing and irregular/inconsistent colors used at the end of the war. There are enough examples to keep Luftwaffe modeler busy for a lifetime!

Thanks for the welcome guys! I'm looking forward to contributing!

sign0016.gif

G'day Crotalus, welcome from Aussie, any pics of your work?
happy0120.gif
happy0120.gif

Ahh...cool, yeah the "RLM84" color was an enigma, definately...but as chaotic as the last months were for the Luftwaffe...there's no telling where they were getting thier paint from. I remember hearing once from a Luftwaffe vet, that his crew chief went and bartered some goods for some camo paint from a nearby Wehrmacht outfit so they could winterize his Bf109...so anything's possible.

Again, welcome aboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back