New life for the B-52 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

When I was with the 801st during Desert Storm, our -52 strikes were of three birds, each carrying 51 750-lb bombs; over 38,000 lbs of bombs apiece, albeit all dumb. However, the nav and targeting systems were very accurate.

I remember one time we had a rah-rah meeting in the base theater to show us ground-crew what our planes were doing. One mission was against a cement plant in Northern Iraq, about a mile long and 1/3 mile wide target zone. The base intel guy showed us before-and-after slides on the screen.

The "after" pic showed perhaps eight or nine craters outside of the TZ, out of 153 bombs dropped. I honestly felt sorry for those poor bastards at that point. That cement plant was almost literally obliterated; it looked like a moonscape. And that was three planes.

I could only imagine what we did to that fortification line they dug south and west of Kuwait ... and their troops inside ... once we got to that stage of the war a week or two later.

Last edited:
B-52J

There is a lot of vacant letters in the alphabet yet!

Platform-launched hypes are a natural. The Russians are already using a similar force-structure in Ukraine.

Why not?

Boeing's 747 started out as a USAF proposal for a heavy-lift transport, which the C-5 Galaxy won out, so it developed into what we know today.
Very loosely.

The B747 is better described as a B707 enlarged via technology developed for the CX-HLS program.

Note the design Boeing submitted:

20120829000423_1.jpg

Pages from ustp08_Page_3.jpg

20120829000423.jpg

Lockheed & Boeing C-5A entries:

20120829000350_3.jpg
20120829000408_2.jpg

Once again about B-52J development:

So the B-52J will see the original design through to a full 100 years of continuous service? I'm surprised that more isn't being made of that achievement. That's even longer than the Tupolev Tu-95 Bear is projected to be in service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back