New military museum at Soesterberg airbase

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
Lately the dutch MLM (airforce museum) and Army army museum were merged and got a brand new location at the former airbase Soesterberg. It's become a beautiful museum. Pictures below are by me, taken on May 4th:

20150505_0008.jpg
20150505_0117.jpg
20150505_0101.jpg
20150505_0097.jpg
20150505_0095.jpg
20150505_0091.jpg
20150505_0085.jpg
20150505_0083.jpg
20150505_0028.jpg
20150505_0027.jpg
20150505_0024.jpg
20150505_0022.jpg
20150505_0011.jpg
20150505_0119.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely pics and museum, love the Meteor and the AMX13 105 AM
I wish the new site much luck and visitors - it looks nicer (if a little smaller) than the D Day Museum in Normandy (that I went to in 1990 on a school trip)

Thankx Marcel for posting about it :)

Great stuff Marcel. I read a snippet about this in either 'Fly Past' or 'The Aeroplane' recently, and wondered if you'd get to visit, so thanks for posting.

Excellent pictures of an awesome museum my friend. That buffalo was built by the craftsmen at the Cradle of Aviation Museum here on Long Island. So at least it has some Long Island connection, just like the real ones.

That's right Vick. And it became a beautiful replica. It has been in storage since it came here, waiting for the new museum to open.

Terry, I wanted to go earlier, but it was very popular and there have even been traffic jams, the first weeks it was open. So I decided to wait a bit untill it was less crowded. Still there were a lot of people this day. The museum setup is very modern and interactive. Many diehard history lovers don't like it, too much entertainment they say, so I went there with mixed feelings. But actually the museum did a great job, very informative and lots of fun. The kids really like it. It will help to interest future generations for military history, so mission accomplished. :)

Terrific photos Marcel, would really like to get there some day. A pity some of the aircraft become silhouettes as a result of the extensive glass work. The Do 24 is on long term loan from the RAF Museum; it was gifted to the museum by the Spanish, whose markings it was displayed in for many years at Hendon. Far more appropriate location in Holland since the machine was designed with the Dutch in mind. Do like the Buffalo reproduction.

. Many diehard history lovers don't like it, too much entertainment they say, so I went there with mixed feelings. But actually the museum did a great job, very informative and lots of fun. The kids really like it. It will help to interest future generations for military history, so mission accomplished. :)

Let me begin by saying an excellent job with the photos of what looks to be a wonderful museum.

As for all the gimmicks and entertainment., this is much like air shows I suppose with their bouncy inflatable castles and the like. Shows and museums I guess must expand their offereings to get people through the door to pay the bills. A small price to pay, in my opinion, to keep the aircraft available to us.

Cheers and once again, nice museum report.

Jeff

Yes, that was already true when it was still in the cramped MLM, but now it has all the room and light that it needs. Still wish it could fly in formation with the Lelystad Catalina though.

If anyone of you ever comes to the Netherlands, go to this museum and give me a pm, so I have an excuse to go again ;)

Last edited:
Yes, that was already true when it was still in the cramped MLM, but now it has all the room and light that it needs. Still wish it could fly in formation with the Lelystad Catalina though.

If anyone of you ever comes to the Netherlands, go to this museum and give me a pm, so I have an excuse to go again ;)

Why need an excuse at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back