New to model building and looking for a place to start. -Gonna build'em all! (Paint too.. probably)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Falanca

Recruit
Jan 19, 2020
Hello, i am quite new to model building and looking for some online retail stores with good prices where i can buy some starter kits. I only found lots of models and mega hobby but dont know if any of them are good. Lots of models looks cheaper overall though. Does any one have exprience with any of them?? Thanks :)

Last edited:
Yeah probably 1:72 or 1:48. Want to start small and see how im doing. But im from Turkey so its hard to find a good site with international shipping. A would prefer amazon or ebay if i was in USA. I will look for the one that you suggested, thank you my man. :)

Last edited:
Not sure how shipping from the USA to Turkey compares to shipping from England or Europe, but these two well respected companies ship worldwide :-
Hannant's, Lowestoft, England (minimum order around £8, and I don't think they ship paints outside of the UK).
Aviation Megastore, Schipol, Netherlands.

You can also buy direct from Eduard who ship from the Czech Republic. You'll pay new kit prices but they are very nice kits. No paints though unfortunately.

Not sure about postage prices in other parts of the world - I'm in Australia. Also not sure how reliable postage to Turkey is ..... Having said that, from my experience -
Having bought a lot of kits from all over the world, I have found the best sources to be Model Hobbies in the UK (10% cheaper than Hannants) and PlazaJapan in .... Japan. Both offer very good prices and very reasonable postage, take paypal and are reliable. Plaza's range is somewhat limited, but if you want Hasegawa, Fujimi or Tamiya that's the place.
Try to buy kits from their origins - that is, don't buy a Japanese-made kit from China, or a Chinese-made kit from Japan.
The US stores are pretty much out of the picture because of high postage costs, at least to me Down Under anyway.
Lucky model are very hit and miss with stocks, and you can wait a LOOOOONG time for something you ordered to come in, and you have to pay for it WHEN YOU ORDER IT so they've got your money. No Paypal either, last time I bought from them. Occasionally they have $2 surface shipping sales for orders over a certain amount, and that may be worthwhile for you. For a Chinese seller, Hobbyeasy are much better. I don't think they stock stuff, but rather provide a seamless link to suppliers who have what you want in stock.
HobbyLinkJapan have a great range and allow you to order stuff and they store it for up to 60 days so you can add to the order later and minimise postage per item. Not as good since they went over to their new website and payment system a year ago (or is it 2? ), but still worth a look.
Also, try to build up a list and buy multiple items from the same source at the same time, and you'll save heaps on postage.
Good luck, and happy buying.

Model Hobbies are good, reliable, and with very reasonable shipping rates. However, they have stopped shipping to some countries (Italy, for example) due to parcels going missing. Check with them about shipping first.

And I might add, It can take a while so be patient! I don't want to speak ill but in my experience RM shipping is not the speedest. Thought they may just not like Americans ;)

Don, I think you'll find that Royal Mail will have the package into the USA / Canada, within 2 to 3 days, depending on postage rate - the delays are at the other end !
Posting by RM within the UK and Europe takes, on average, 1 to 2 days from sender to recipient.

I agree with Airframes. US postage sucks. It used to be good a few years ago, but now it can take 6 weeks for a package to get to me in Australia.
Model Hobbies have always sent my packages using NL - Dutch mail, I think. I didn't check the carrier for my last shipment from them last week. Usually around 2 weeks to my door. Australia Post can be slow too.

I received a package from Jeff, in Canada, a couple of weeks before Christmas. It arrived five days after being posted, and landed in the UK the day before I received it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back