New to Modeling

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ninjaplation

Airman
Nov 18, 2013
Hello, so I'm a bit new to modeling so I bought a Airfix bf109 starter kit 1:72 off amazon. I have a friend who is into modeling and help me get some items that I needed such as brushes and other paints that I needed. I am trying to model my 109 after the ones that you see with the yellow rudder and yellow cowl, with the blue gray ,green and gray on the rest. Here is our progress so far, I forgot to buy masking tape so any other ideas with taping I do have packing tape.

10i5qap.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as the package tape is concerned... it depends on how "strong" is the tape adhesive. I would suggest to paint a piece of the kit sprue then stick a piece of the tape there and try to unstick it. If the paint peels off the tape can't be used. As a substitute of Tamiya masking tape you can use the one that is for painters and offered by most of shops with items for house renovation.

The camo scheme for the Bf 109E sounds a little bit strange. The blue grey on undersides ..OK it can be . But the green and grey on the tops rather no. However these are names used in the Airfix instruction for the kit, I guess. The grey colour should be RLM02 Grau ( Grau = Grey ). It wasn't the grey paint in fact. It was green-grey of brown tinge A sample here....

55831d1299778516t-rlm-colors-my-dora-rlm02-grau.jpg

I see. The camo scheme was made of RLM71 - Dunkelgrun ( Dark Green ) / RLM02 Grau ( Grey ) on tops and the RLM65 Hellblau ( Blue Grey ) on undersides.

Congrats on getting started! And a fine choice of a first effort, I love Willy's 109.
Wurger is absolutely correct, try some painters "blue" tape. Also, peruse this forum to get some ideas as to how such things are done. You will find that we share our tricks quite freely, and there is much knowledge to be had.
Looking forward to your finish!
Keep us posted.

Nice to have you join us matey, you've certainly come to the right place and as Paul has already said and you have seen, help is always at hand from as finer bunch of blokes you would ever want to meet.

Have fun and keep us posted.

You have come to the right place to get started. Most of us in here will go to any length to give you advice and encouragement.

As far as tools and supplies goes, there is a thread in her "Show us your workbench" and if someone can find it, it would be a good place to look over to see what others are using for tools and supplies. It doesn't take much to produce a nice finished model.

Happy building and never be afraid to ask even the simplest of questions.

Bill

Here are some pics of the plane (I know the decal is peeling going to need to add some either clear parts glue or get my friend back to put more decal sealer. I didnt really follow any camo in particular i just used a few diff scemes as inspirations.
IMG_0538.JPG
IMG_0540.JPG
IMG_0541.JPG
IMG_0542.JPG
IMG_0543.JPG
IMG_0546.JPG

BTW the Pilot's name is Heinz my friend and I agreed on this name.

You should have seen some of my first efforts!
At least you got most of the colors right!
A fine effort on weathering, but I have a question.
Why is the canopy (the clear parts) so clouded?

You should have seen some of my first efforts!
At least you got most of the colors right!
A fine effort on weathering, but I have a question.
Why is the canopy (the clear parts) so clouded?
Not sure I used clear parts glue, and was careful with it

As for the first attempt ... not too bad at all. As far as the cockpit conopy is concerned.. did you apply the clear coat on it?

As for the first attempt ... not too bad at all. As far as the cockpit conopy is concerned.. did you apply the clear coat on it?
Well no but im sure some still got on it so thats probably what its from

Not a bad effort at all and as long as you had fun………………………….and hey, you found us lot as well.

Hope you decide to hang around.
b0227.gif

Now lets put this in perspective...... shoulda woulda coulda.

The main thing we are after here is to build for enjoyment, keep That in mind first and foremost.
We never make "mistakes" when we are starting out. It's all a learning experience.
Some of the techniques used by the more "experienced" builders require lots of special tools and materials and they take a while to acquire.
So never beat yourself up for Not getting the same results eh?

Now that you have done one, and a great effort mate, better than my first a very long time ago!!! you are more prepaired to really See what the other builders are doing in here when you look their posts in the Group Builds. And never hesitate to ask a question about anything you see.

Happy building mate!

My $0.02: if you intend to continue making model invest in an air brush. It is possible to aply paint with a brush and get excellent results (Terry is unbelievable at this) but a truely smooth finish is much easier with an air brush. Also read several posts in this section about Microsol and Microset for decals (they make a world of difference in how a decal looks after being applied) and also the use of Future (Pledge) acrylic floor finish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back