New to this forum and seeking help

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gizmosmn

Recruit
Feb 20, 2023
Thank you for having me. I am in search of a specific Gunner Camera. I belive it is a Bell and Howell from WWII or Korea. It needs to be specific to the camera in the photo and it does not need to operate. Thanks for any help -Greg-

Photo Feb 20 2023, 8 16 55 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
On eBay i saw a few but not quire like that. Do you have more info?

I have been searching the internet for weeks. Ebay has a few that are similar but not exact. I have not found one that has a knob above the lens like the one in the provided photograph. As of now, I do not have any other information.

This site (linked below) has a USN M-4A camera set, in the photo gallery (image #9), is a table with all the variants and manufacturers, complete with the Navy's assigned number.

Use that table's info to refine your search.

Your camera has a couple of differences from the typical Bell & Howell. The big one that sticks out is the lack of US Navy or AAF Data plate and also the round knob next to the lens. Perhaps an early pre-production/test type B&H camera?

What type aircraft is your photo from?

Attachments

• Photo Feb 20 2023, 8 16 55 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 20 2023, 8 16 55 PM.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 13
Your camera has a couple of differences from the typical Bell & Howell. The big one that sticks out is the lack of US Navy or AAF Data plate and also the round knob next to the lens. Perhaps an early pre-production/test type B&H camera?

What type aircraft is your photo from?
I do not know what aircraft this camera came out of. It was used in a famous race car in 1961 to record the gauge data while racing. I am currently reproducing the car and doing my best to find this camera. The knob above the lens is definitely odd and I have not seen it anywhere.

This site (linked below) has a USN M-4A camera set, in the photo gallery (image #9), is a table with all the variants and manufacturers, complete with the Navy's assigned number.

Use that table's info to refine your search.

I did see this page online but I do appreciate any and all leads. Any thoughts regarding the knob above the lens?

The picture in your first post, is that photo of the camera taken from the race car or a plane?

Since yours doesn't have a military Data Plate, perhaps it was a civilian version of the camera.

Have you tried contacting antique camera dealers to see if they can identify it or perhaps Bell+Howell ?

The photo is from the racecar. I have tried multiple antique camera dealers, museums, historical sights, etc. Would you know if Bell & Howell is in business?

The photo is from the racecar. I have tried multiple antique camera dealers, museums, historical sights, etc. Would you know if Bell & Howell is in business?
I guess that knob is a trigger switch to activate the camera. Could be very usefull when testing
Click .. dail setting sort of thing.

Eastman Kodak Co. Rochester N.Y. had a camera museum, including competitor's equipment. Kodak is still in business and the Bell & Howell name is used for TV infomercials.

The picture in your first post, is that photo of the camera taken from the race car or a plane?

Since yours doesn't have a military Data Plate, perhaps it was a civilian version of the camera.

Have you tried contacting antique camera dealers to see if they can identify it or perhaps Bell+Howell ?
Thank you for this. I will follow up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back