New Zealand rocked by Earthquake; Feb 22nd, 2011

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mudpuppy

Senior Airman
A report from Reuters is below. My prayers go out to those folks, the pictures of the disaster are frightening:
(Reuters) - A strong earthquake killed at least 65 people in New Zealand's second-biggest city of Christchurch on Tuesday, with more casualties expected as rescuers worked into the night to find scores of people trapped inside collapsed buildings.

It was the second quake to hit the city of almost 400,000 people in five months, and New Zealand's most deadly natural disaster for 80 years.

"We may well be witnessing New Zealand's darkest day...The death toll I have at the moment is 65 and that may rise," said New Zealand Prime Minister John Key, who had flown to his home town of Christchurch, where he still has family.

The 6.3 magnitude quake struck at lunchtime, when streets and shops thronged with people and offices were still occupied.

Rescuers, working under lights in rain, focused on two collapsed buildings: a financial-services office block whose four stories pancaked on top of each other, and a TV building which also housed an English-language school.

Twelve Japanese students at the school were believed to be missing, an official in Japan told Reuters.

Trapped survivors could be heard shouting out to rescuers from the TV building. Local media say as many as a dozen or more people could still be inside. Relatives of those feared trapped kept a vigil outside the building as rain began to fall.

A woman freed from a collapsed building said she had waited for six hours for rescuers to reach her after the quake, which was followed by at least 20 aftershocks.

"I thought the best place was under the desk but the ceiling collapsed on top, I can't move and I'm just terrified," office worker Anne Voss told TV3 news by mobile phone.

Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker described the city, a historic tourist town popular with overseas students, as a war zone. He told local radio that up to 200 could be trapped in buildings but later revised that estimate down to around 100 or so.

"It is a tragedy that is unbelievable," he said.

It was the country's worst natural disaster since a 1931 quake in the North Island city of Napier which killed 256. Christchurch Hospital saw an influx of injured residents.

"They are largely crushes and cuts types of injuries and chest pain as well," said David Meates, head of the Canterbury Health Board. Some of the more seriously injured could be evacuated to other cities, he added.

There was nothing on the early AM news about this. I seem to recall a few members listing New Zealand but don't recall any specifics members.
My prayers to all involved

Attachments

• 9309955-large.jpg
    9309955-large.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,746
Last edited:
Recent Pics of the Quake, 65 reported killed so far

Attachments

• 22zealand_337-span-articleLarge-v2.jpg
    22zealand_337-span-articleLarge-v2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,387
  • 692-990New_Zealand_Earthquake.sff.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg
    692-990New_Zealand_Earthquake.sff.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 5,274
  • gty_new_zealand_earthquake_9_nt_110222_ssh.jpg
    gty_new_zealand_earthquake_9_nt_110222_ssh.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,601
Me too. I e-mailed Daniel (109 Roaming) about 03:00 hrs this morning (UK time), but no reply yet. Of course, utility services will be affected, so hope I get a reply eventually.

This one is very bad and they recon it's an aftershock from the one they had some 5 months ago. Hit at lunchtime in NZ and the city was crowded. I also sent a PM to Daniel (109roaming) at 7pm (9:00am GMT) last evening but nothing back yet. My thoughts are with you guys over there and I hope your all okay.

Just got a reply from Daniel. He's OK where he lives, but his parent's and grandmothers' houses have been damaged, and the roads flooded, with cars buried, but they too are OK.
He sent a couple of pics, showing the flooding and a 4 x 4 half buried in a hole, but I'm having a bit of trouble downloading them to post here.
As we will have seen on the TV news, damage is extensive, and Daniel says it could take months, possibly years, to get things sorted, as the epi-centre was close and shallow.
The airport (where he works) is closed to normal traffic, and the chaos on the roads has meant lack of staff, leaving Daniel to deal with a Singapore AF transport by himself !
International aid has arrived from Oz, UK and other places, with a US Galaxy inbound as he typed. Daniel hasn't been able to access the forum due to the 'block', so I've told him how to get in. Hopefully, when he finds time amid the chaos, he'll check-in and up-date us. If not, I'll pass on any news he sends.

Same here, glad he and his are OK.
Open question, is it possible to do a global search of the sites members, sorting for location if listed and then send a global email/PM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back