NEWBIE: Looking for ID on unusual large aircraft signalling lamp

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Richard C Mason

Recruit
Nov 10, 2023
Hi, I have just purchased an interesting shutter style signalling lamp (no provenance). S. Smith & Sons, VD, series 416, mk II. It is a lot bigger than any signalling lamps that I can find reference on. I can't find any other like it. Can anyone help? Thank you in advance.
IMG_8212.JPG
IMG_8215.JPG
IMG_8214.JPG

IMG_8216.JPG

Not this type IMHO, looking more stationary. There is no the British Royal Air Ministry stamp and also no Ref. number and the serial on it. Just the Broad arrow. It looks like a lamp from a larger transport, passenger plane or a flying boat. Also an airfield tower is possible too.

OK. the "V Broad Arrow D" logo is damaged. There should be the "W" letter instead of the"V" one. This is the logo of the former War Department and the arrow itself could usually be found nestling just between W and D what stands for War Department. The WD logo does not guarantee or verify that the weapon or system bearing it was ever used in combat, it only authenticates it as government military property. It was used to 1964 when the War Department became the Ministry of Defence

Thank you, Oh yes you're right it is a W! thanks all so far I did wonder if it was airfield based due to it's larger size.

The airfield equipment is very likely. Actually it looks quite similar to the one ...

aldis.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Hi

This appears to be a signal lamp used on the ground to signal to aircraft. It is a variation of the lamps used from WW1 through to WW2. I have seen images of the RAF Mk. II with Series 141 and Series 200 (Images in RAF Museum Collection). Began to be used from at least 1915 by RFC signallers at aerodromes and other locations and also from artillery batteries to signal to aircraft during artillery spotting missions. Used on tripods generally but could be used hand held, some examples of WW1 use (from RAFM images) below:
Image_20231110_0001.jpg

Image_20231110_0002.jpg

Image_20231110_0003.jpg

I hope that is of use.

Mike

Well done. :thumbright:

That's the one ... great ! So the airfield equipment as we thought. :)
Yes, however, it should be noted that similar lamps could be used on aircraft, a book on the history of No. 3 Squadron has this image:
cpgrd 003.jpg

Barratt was the commander of the British Air Forces in France during 1940 and then commander of Army Co-operation Command. The use by Barratt of this lamp is mentioned in McCudden's 'Flying Fury' page 53 (this appears to be in November 1914):
Image_20231111_0001.jpg

By the end of 1916 the RFC wanted to standardise on the Aldis Lamp on aircraft, 6 per squadron. A series of returns during December 1916 indicates the lamps then in use, for example No. 8 Sqn. had 6 RAF (Royal Aircraft Factory), 3 Hucks, 1 Aldis and 4 "A French pattern" lamps. No. 1 Sqn. had 6 Hucks, 3 RAF and 2 "Smith & Son" lamps. The RFC were keen to reduce the size and weight of lamps when carried by aircraft (like much of the equipment in use).

Mike

Amazing bit of research thank you for that Mike. You've found it. Much appreciated. Very interesting, I wasn't expecting it to be in use that early. Now to find a similar tripod stand for it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back