News: Re-designation to the Raptor... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The US Air Force, that put some years ago a new designation to the F-22 Raptor (F/A-22), have decided these days to re-designate the aircraft as F-22A.

Reasons? the Raptor wouldn't be a good attack aircraft, so the USAF decided to use it only as a fighter, with F-15E and F-16C as CAS aircraft, waiting to the new F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, which would be entering in service in 2015.

The re-designation gives the opportunity to rename possibles modifications to the aircraft, as FEA-22 (Electronic Attack), FB-22 (Fighter/Bomber/CAS), EF-22 (Electronic vigilance), between others.

What is your source for this? I believe it was renamed the F/A-22A in 2002, not the other way around.

[i]On Sept. 17, 2002 Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. John P. Jumper announced a change in the designation of the F-22 Raptor to F/A-22 at the 2002 Air Force Association National Convention. The change is meant to more accurately reflect the aircraft's multimission roles and capabilities in contemporary strategic environments.[/i]
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/f-22.htm

It's still intended for multiple roles. It would be an awfully expensive aircraft to mass produce strictly for the air-supremacy role I would think.

The above article even has this to say:

"F-22A IOC means our warfighters now have an unprecedented lethal mix of air-to-air and air-to-ground capabilities at their disposal," General Keys said. "The Raptor's cutting edge technology brings us continued joint air dominance despite advancing enemy threats."

Nonskimmer said:
It's still intended for multiple roles. It would be an awfully expensive aircraft to mass produce strictly for the air-supremacy role I would think.

I agree, it would then be a waste of money. (Especially since the F-15 is still more than capable in its role)

Soren said:
Nonskimmer said:

I agree, it would then be a waste of money. (Especially since the F-15 is still more than capable in its role)
You think so?!?

FLYBOYJ said:
You think so?!?

Yes I'd have to say so :D

Can't think of any fighter other than the Eurofighter which is equal to it. Maybe the SU-37, but that project lacks funds, and Russian digital technology is hopelessly behind American tech in the same department.

Of-cause with the F-22 now in service, there is now 'absolutely' no equal anywhere in the world.

Soren said:
FLYBOYJ said:
You think so?!?

Can't think of any fighter other than the Eurofighter which is equal to it. Maybe the SU-37, but that project lacks funds, and Russian digital technology is hopelessly behind American tech in the same department.

Of-cause with the F-22 now in service, there is now 'absolutely' no equal anywhere in the world.

I thought you were saying that the F-15 is more capable?!?

FLYBOYJ said:
Soren said:
FLYBOYJ said:
You think so?!?

What ?! No ! :lol:

However the F-15 is still more than capable in its role, with the Eurofighter being its only equal. (Not counting the F-22 of-cause :D )

The F-22 is better than the F-15, no doubt about that.

Soren said:
FLYBOYJ said:
Soren said:
FLYBOYJ said:
You think so?!?

However the F-15 is still more than capable in its role, with the Eurofighter being its only equal. (Not counting the F-22 of-cause :D )

The F-22A is better than the Eagle, of course, that's why is a replacement.[/list]

Eagle_Giuli said:
Soren said:
FLYBOYJ said:
Soren said:
FLYBOYJ said:
You think so?!?

The F-22A is better than the Eagle, of course, that's why is a replacement.[/list]

OK! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back