Nice Place you got here!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bomb Dog

Recruit
Sep 19, 2008
Can't believe I've never stumbled across this place before, in all my 'net wanderings. At any rate, it's good to find such a gathering of people who are passionate about WWII aircraft.

I've been a WWII aircraft nut since I was a little kid (it didn't hurt that I grew up in Fairborn, Ohio, within walking distance of the Air Force Museum...which I practically lived at).

My Grandfather was Army Air Corps, My father was Air Force, and when it was my turn I went into the USAF as a Strategic Air Command maintenance officer in B-52 Bomb Wings. Mostly as a munitions officer, in charge of both conventional and nuclear organizations, but also a bit of aircraft maintenance and other stuff thrown in there just for fun.

So, outside of WWII birds, my first love has to be the good ol' B-52.

I've done a couple paintings of WWII a/c, done digital aircraft "skins" for 3D models used by online flight simulators, and continue to buy books on the subject. Used to do plastic scale models, and got pretty good with them--weathering and detailing them "just so", but, it's been a long time since I've done one.

Anyway, that's the introduction! See you all in the threads!

Greetings from England, Bomb Dog. Like to see your paintings, as I also (try) to earn part of a crust as an artist. When you've got a spare year or so, you can explain to me how a B52 ever gets off the ground!!

When you've got a spare year or so, you can explain to me how a B52 ever gets off the ground!!

Mostly by luck. :lol: My Dad was stationed on Guam in the early 80's, we got to watch a LOT of '52's flying their patterns, taking off, landing, doing touch-n-go's. What's really interesting is to be ahead/behind the plane when it takes off...the wing-tips bend upwards, looking like they're about to pop off....then the body almost bounces back up between the wingtips when it leaves the ground. Really weird-lookin. But effective!

Oh, and welcome, Bombdog! Don't be a one-post wonder! Show off your art, your modeling (old or new, either one!), regale us with your tales of wonder and awe....

Hey, thanks, Rabid. Saw a '52 once or twice in the U.K., and you're right, watching those wings flapping....!
It wasn't until I stood in the main-gear well of the one preserved at Duxford, U.K., that I realised just how big they really are! The engineering in that area of the aircraft alone is amazing! It's like the Forth Bridge! Oh, sorry, that's a suspension bridge over the Firth of Forth, in Scotland. It's used as a term for something big, or a never ending job, in the U.K. Example "It's like painting the Forth bridge."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back