Nick names used for popular a/c (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That was a very popular nickname for us Blackhawk guys! :lol:

No doubt lol......actually, we would throw out a "shithook" every now and then if an aircraft was having a lot of problems. The only name I remember that we had for Blackhawks, was Crash Hawks. This was in the early 80`s when the aircraft was fairly new and was having problems with the stabilator.

No doubt lol......actually, we would throw out a "shithook" every now and then if an aircraft was having a lot of problems. The only name I remember that we had for Blackhawks, was Crash Hawks. This was in the early 80`s when the aircraft was fairly new and was having problems with the stabilator.

Yeap, the Blackhawk's problem was fixed with pin filters and a manual slew. That was all before my time though. Some of the older Hookers would still call us Crash Hawks though.

F-105 Thunderchief was known as the 'Thud'. This has variously been attributed to the sound of it's payload hitting the ground, or the a/c itself hitting the ground, for those who were not a fan of the type.

The AW Argosy was also known as the 'Whistling T*t', for the nipple-like radome on the bulbous nose of some aircraft.

In RAF service, the Tornado was/is known as the 'Tonka', I believe after the line of fairly low-quality plastic toys popular in the 1980s.

I have read reference to the B-26 Marauder and F-104 being called the 'Widowmaker' after high accident rates.

The A-4 Skyhawk was known by a number of names, including 'Bantan Bomber' due to it's small size.

Those are good one's. really making me giggle a bit here.

Some are pretty obvious, but why F-117 and "wobbly goblin"?
"Wobbly Goblin" was an overheard comment by a test pilot early in the F-117's development. The nick-name, while not "official", is simply one that stuck with it through the years.

The F-117 as a production combat aircraft is actually a solid performer, according to the pilots who flew it.

Triple Nickel (555 sq) was known as the largest distributor of MiG Parts. Indeed for their MiG killing in Vietnam

Tornado = the Fin
A-4 = Scooter Heineman's Hotrod.
F-86K = Kaasjager
F-16 = Electric Jet (never caught on really)
A-6 = iron tadpole
F-4 = Rhino, Toom, Double Ugly

After carefully researching I only found nicknames for the
-I.A.R. 39 "Geezer"
-I.A.R. 80 "Romanian broom" , at the start of the war by the soviets pilots, after the first squadrons of I.A.R.'s swept across soviet airfields.

When the C-5 first came out, it had a problem with the hydraulics failing on the landing gear when the kneeling system was used (used to lower the aircraft to ease loading and unloading). Because of this, it was often called "Queer Albert", a take-off of another nickname for it, "Fat Albert". I'll let you figure out why.

Ab Garm Kon (lit. Water heather)

Chinese Fighter F-7 Called by Iranian Iran/Iraq War Pilots !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back