No rest for the War Weary

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
In this thread I'm going to be working on one of my favorite topics of the World War II era, Formation Assembly ships.

My first subject is going to be a B-17F #42-30145 or better known as the Green Hornet of the 486th BG, Sudbury, 1944. From 7 January 1944 she was on loan to the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough for "range tests". Returned to the USAAF in February, the aircraft was assigned as a hack with the 486th BG, where she was stripped of her armaments and had all its turretts removed. It was painted bright green with dark green decorative elements and named Green Hornet. Its main function was to preform communication relays, weather observation and transportation but some uncertain records noted that the Green Hornet was used as the Groups Formation Assembly Ship. If this were true, it would be the only case of an assembly ship being used by the 3rd AD.

For this build I'm going to be using the Academy B-17F "Fort Alamo II" kit.

IMG_2573.jpg

The Kit

Molded in light gray and clear plastic, the Academy B-17 series feature scribed panel lines and flash-free molding. While there are a few ejector-pin marks on a few visible interior surfaces, these are minor and should be easily sanded away. The kit features a nicely detailed cockpit and nose section for this scale. Pilot, Co-Pilot, Navigator and Bombardier seats are all provided, along with control yokes and a decal-based instrument panel in the cockpit, a map table for the Navigator, and a Norden bombsight and control panel for the Bombardier.

The bomb bay doors are positionable, and there is a nicely represented catwalk that spans the forward and aft bulkheads. The two bomb racks that mount on either side of the catwalk are also present along with eight bombs to arm the racks. The corresponding bomb racks that mount against the inside of the fuselage are not provided in the kit.

The top and ball turrets are provided, as well as waist guns that are stowed inside of the waist windows.

I will not be doing any extensive interior work on this one. My focus will be on the exterior finish. I will start posting progress photos sometime next week as this weekend is booked solid.

Thanks for taking the time to stop and look. :salute:

I finally got time to sit down and work on the Hornet. Again I'm not going to go crazy with the interior as we all know it will never be seen. So here we go.

After I just got done saying I wasn't going to go crazy I found myself going through my stash of Evergreen looking for the right bits to add to the pilot seats.

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

Adding some tape harnesses.

IMG_2144.jpg

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

Had to cut out the waist gunners window

IMG_2143.jpg

Till next time. Thanks for looking.

Here is another smaller project I've been working on for the last few months but it fits into the weary subject of this build.

This one is going to be another Assembly ship (I have a thing for assembly ships). This one is called The Striped Ape II of the 448th Bomb Group.

The Cover art

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1091.jpg

Nose weight

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

IMG_1095.jpg

Now most assembly ships have critical components such as its weapons removed to be used else-ware. That means I need to fill in the ball turret position

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

More later. Thanks for looking

I thought this would be a cool photo. Comparing the E to the F.

IMG_2321.jpg

My favorite time of the build :evil: I should have used styrene as a gap filler first but for some reason I didn't. I think I will be redoing this area very soon.

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

For those who have been wondering. Here are the colors that will be used when the time comes.

IMG_2320.jpg

Here you can see where the top turret would go. In this case this hole will be completely filled in.

IMG_2339.jpg

Here you can see where the bottom turret would go. In this case this hole will be completely filled in.

IMG_2340.jpg

Thanks for looking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back