Non-USN single engine night fighters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BarnOwlLover

Staff Sergeant
Nov 3, 2022
Mansfield, Ohio, USA
I'm aware of the RAF investigating fitting radar to a Hawker Typhoon to make a single seat, single engine night fighter, and some Hurricanes were converted for such a role in the CBI. But were there other known successful conversions of single seat, single engine fighters to being night/all-weather fighters? I also know of the P-51D Mustang that was converted into a two seat night/all-weather interceptor, though I have no idea how well it worked (photos of it are at IWM's site), and some trainer versions of P-38s were converted into P-38M night fighters. The conversion as far as I know worked well, but there was little for them to shoot down in 1945 when it was introduced (the P-51 night fighter conversion was also from 1945).

I'm aware of the RAF investigating fitting radar to a Hawker Typhoon to make a single seat, single engine night fighter, and some Hurricanes were converted for such a role in the CBI. But were there other known successful conversions of single seat, single engine fighters to being night/all-weather fighters? I also know of the P-51D Mustang that was converted into a two seat night/all-weather interceptor, though I have no idea how well it worked (photos of it are at IWM's site), and some trainer versions of P-38s were converted into P-38M night fighters. The conversion as far as I know worked well, but there was little for them to shoot down in 1945 when it was introduced (the P-51 night fighter conversion was also from 1945).
You may find these books of interest. The threads also include some diagrams of the aircraft.

Sorry to revive this thread, but what about a single seat F-82? Sort of defeats the purpose of it's creation (two pilots for long range flights or putting a radar operator in the right side fuselage), but a single seat F-82 as a heavy interceptor was looked it, and could've been achieved by removing the right fuseage's windscreen, canopy, and seat and fairing over the cockpit.

Sorry to revive this thread, but what about a single seat F-82? Sort of defeats the purpose of it's creation (two pilots for long range flights or putting a radar operator in the right side fuselage), but a single seat F-82 as a heavy interceptor was looked it, and could've been achieved by removing the right fuseage's windscreen, canopy, and seat and fairing over the cockpit.
P-82 was a 2-engined fighter. Probably does not fit well with the 1-engined fighters, that are the topic here?

In theory, the best bet for the 1-engined night fighters were probably the Japanese D4Y and C6N - both were with good performance (on par with latest Japanese fighters), while not being limited to just one crew member.
Due to the experimental/ad-hoc nature of the (night) fighter conversions, and being without a radar, success probably eluded them.

I'd still be in favor of a two seat conversion of the P-51D/K/H, especially if they were cannon armed. There was at least one P-51D and P-51B that were converted to two seaters and fitted with radar equipment. But it does seem like they were some type of one off conversion in both cases and were used as trainers for radar operators.

In theory, the best bet for the 1-engined night fighters were probably the Japanese D4Y and C6N - both were with good performance (on par with latest Japanese fighters), while not being limited to just one crew member.
Due to the experimental/ad-hoc nature of the (night) fighter conversions, and being without a radar, success probably eluded them.
Probably due to the cloudy canopies interfering with the vision of the excellent binoculars the crews were using. ;)

I am sure that they could have made such an arrangement work, but at least through to late-1944 or early-1945 the radars worked better (in terms of user friendliness) when fitted to a 2-seat/twin-engine airframe. The only reason the USN used the AI on the single-seat/single-engine F6F (in late-1943) was that they did not have a 2-seat/twin-engine carrier aircraft of sufficient performance at the time. The SBD, SB2C, and TBF were not up to the task in 1944-45.

Of course, by the time the USN did have the 2-seat/twin-engine airframes the radar was easier to use, reduced in weight/size, and improved to the point where a 1-seat/single-engine airframe could do the job almost as effectively as the dedicated 2-seater could.

Also, I suspect much of the push for AI on the USN 1-seat/single-engine fighters was due to the ability to locate and intercept aircraft more reliably in daytime when used in conjunction with the GCI of the ship and land based air search radars.

The USAAF had 2-seaters available for the night fighter job if they wanted them.

edited: changed from (in late-1944) to (in late-1943)

Last edited:
USNI article on the origins of the USN night fighter programme, Project Affirm. First operational results were in late 1943 using F4U-2 Corsair night fighters in the Solomons and then from early 1944 in carrier detachments.

Old thread on USN night fighters.

The RN ran a 4 month comparative test in 1945/6 between the single seat F6F-5N Hellcat NF.II of 892 squadron and the two seat Firefly NF.I of 1792 squadron (equipped with AN/APS-4 ASH radar in an underfuselage pod) as a dedicated Night Air Group on the light carrier Ocean. Their conclusion was that the 2 seater was the better choice. That led to night fighter "Black Flights" in the various Firefly squadrons through to about 1950. The RN then moved on to develop the two seater Sea Hornet NF.21 and then the two seater all weather Sea Venom and Sea Vixen.

The USAAF having chosen the P-70 while waiting on the P-61, used Beaufighters in 4 squadrons in North Africa while seeking Mosquito night fighters. Late 1944/early 1945 they were finally able to get some Mossie NF.XIX and NF.30 to replace some of the then well worn Beaus.

I posted a similar thread, hard to believe in 2016. Some information you are looking for maybe in the thread.

Two books I have. No photos, just line drawings and technical data on each aircraft used. 203 and 326 pages.

1709498160226.png
1709498202984.png

By later in the War, 1944, the need to intercept German night bombers was overcome by events for the USAF, that left the P-61 with more of a night interdiction role. The USN flew CAP Night missions, and I would think with a modern 1944/1945 CIC and data flowing from ship based radar, the mission was more executable for the Night Hellcats and Corsairs.

I am sure that they could have made such an arrangement work, but at least through to late-1944 or early-1945 the radars worked better (in terms of user friendliness) when fitted to a 2-seat/twin-engine airframe. The only reason the USN used the AI on the single-seat/single-engine F6F (in late-1943) was that they did not have a 2-seat/twin-engine carrier aircraft of sufficient performance at the time. The SBD, SB2C, and TBF were not up to the task in 1944-45.

The USN flew CAP Night missions, and I would think with a modern 1944/1945 CIC and data flowing from ship based radar, the mission was more executable for the Night Hellcats and Corsairs.

From the start the USN used TBMs equipped with the APS-4 radar (underwing pod ) as a fighter-controller to guide radar-equipped F6Fs and U4Us to near the target aircraft where the fighter could get a good picture on his radar set (APS-6, a simplified APS-4).

This led to the later development of AEW Avengers/Guardians/Skyraiders/Tracers/Hawkeyes.

TBM with APS-4 ( https://www.aef.se/Avionik/PDF-filer/PS18_USN_APS-4_Tactical_use.pdf ):

TBM-3E 91214 APS-4.png

AN/APS-4 without external housing:

An-APS-4 side view.jpg

TBM with APS-3 navigation/night bombing radar ( https://www.aef.se/Avionik/PDF-filer/PS19_USN_APS-3.pdf ):

VT-90 TBM-3D APS-3.png

With added searchlight and rockets:

TBM-1D 23506 80-G-408595 ASD-1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back