North American B-25 Mitchell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gis-nl

Airman
Apr 21, 2006
Hi,
I am looking for pictures of a North American B-25 Mitchell, reg code : N5-214, the plane was in service in the dutch airforce in ww2 , NEIAF, 18the squadron near bachelor, flown by :Barclay, Donk, Dreher, Franken, Lugt, Marsman and shot down by AAA near the Kei islands in september 1944, all KIA.

Thanks in advance
Gis

Attachments

• 9944060321134344g.jpg
    9944060321134344g.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 295
evangilder said:
Hi Gis,
My dutch is terrible, but have you looked here?
http://www.go2war2.nl/artikel/1300

Tnx, I glad that my english is better :) but this site is the reason why I am looking for this plane. my last name is Lugt , the pilot in question is family but thank you for the reply :)
The weird thing is that I can't find nothing in the serienumbers of the raaf
http://home.att.net/~jbaugher2/b25_23.html or on the the NEI site
http://www.awm.gov.au/alliesinadversity/australia/nei.asp
the search goes on :))

Hmm, have you checked to see if the group he belonged to has an association or historian? Or maybe if you can find veterans from that group that served in that time frame. Just a few thoughts that I can think of.

"MLD 100
01-09-1944
Mitchell N5-214 / SQ18 Batchelor
Samen met vliegtuigen van de Australische luchtmacht werden acht vliegtuigen van SQ 18 uitgestuurd om
het vliegveld Langgoer op de Kei-eilanden opnieuw te bombarderen. Tijdens deze opdracht werd de
Mitchell N5-214 van de "Marine-flight" door de Japanners aangeschoten. Het viel brandend naar beneden,
explodeerde op 5.000 voet hoogte en viel in stukken uit elkaar. De bemanning overleefde dit drama niet."

www.veteraneninstituut.nl/view/uploaded/objects/mld.pdf
contacting this institution, maybe?

paaln said:
"MLD 100
01-09-1944
Mitchell N5-214 / SQ18 Batchelor
Samen met vliegtuigen van de Australische luchtmacht werden acht vliegtuigen van SQ 18 uitgestuurd om
het vliegveld Langgoer op de Kei-eilanden opnieuw te bombarderen. Tijdens deze opdracht werd de
Mitchell N5-214 van de "Marine-flight" door de Japanners aangeschoten. Het viel brandend naar beneden,
explodeerde op 5.000 voet hoogte en viel in stukken uit elkaar. De bemanning overleefde dit drama niet."

www.veteraneninstituut.nl/view/uploaded/objects/mld.pdf
contacting this institution, maybe?

Klopt als een bus, marsman ( zoiets) kon er nog uit springen maar spoelde dood aan op een eiland.
Maar ik zou graag een foto of nose art van dit vliegtuig willen zien.
Tnx voor de moeite :)

syscom3 said:
Now translate that into english for us

MLD 100
1-09-1944
Mitchell N5-214/SQ Batchelor
Together with bombers from the australian airforce eight bombers from SQ 18 went on a sorty to bomb the airfield Langgoer on the Kei islands.
During this mission the N5-214 of the " marine-flight" was shot down by japanese AAA and felt burning to the ground and exploded at 5000 foot (?) and scattered (?) , the crew did not survived.

So my reply to Paaln was " you are absolute right. More information, Marsman jump out of the plane but died and washed a shore ( coast) on one off the islands.
What I really want to have is a picture or nose art of this plane
Tnx for the trouble helping :)

Something like that and yes I needed my dictionary ;)

greetings :)

Wildcat said:
Hi Gis, I had a look in one of my books about RAAF/NEIAF B25's but could not find a pic of N5-214. All I can add to info that Paaln gave, was that it was a night mission flown on the 1st of September 1944.
Try these sites for more info.
http://home.st.net.au/~dunn/nei-af.htm
http://www.adf-serials.com/

Tnx :), did not know it was a night mission, it's amazing how much info you can find about this subject, I really am suprised.
It's about time to e-mail the official authority, who knows what the can find
:)

Hi again. Another plane missing on that serial page mentioned above is n5-222, that crashed a few days later than "your" 214. I did a search for n5-222 on the net and found a site with a bloke that had served at Batchelor
http://home.st.net.au/~dunn/ozcrashes/nt128.htm
it has his name and email adress, might be worth a try. Also I found an article in Air Enthusiast Quarterly 26 from 1985 with an article "Dutch Mitchells in the Far East" with a LOT of pictures from 18th. Squadron. 214 is not mentioned in any captions, it is mentioned that it went down over Langgoer. It is written by a Geoffrey J Thomas. (no credits on the pix)

paaln said:
Hi again. Another plane missing on that serial page mentioned above is n5-222, that crashed a few days later than "your" 214. I did a search for n5-222 on the net and found a site with a bloke that had served at Batchelor
http://home.st.net.au/~dunn/ozcrashes/nt128.htm
it has his name and email adress, might be worth a try. Also I found an article in Air Enthusiast Quarterly 26 from 1985 with an article "Dutch Mitchells in the Far East" with a LOT of pictures from 18th. Squadron. 214 is not mentioned in any captions, it is mentioned that it went down over Langgoer. It is written by a Geoffrey J Thomas. (no credits on the pix)

tnx, I have send him a e-mail ,a few days ago but no response so far, the same e-mail I did send to RAAF and ADF Serials , who's know's what they find :)
but tnx :)

got a reply ;
Reference your e-mail of 24 April requesting information on N5-214.
I have checked through my records, and cannot be of much help to you. There is an entry in my diary for 2nd Sept 1944, that N5-214 did not return from operations of the preceding night. My listing of Mitchell B-25 aircraft is missing an entry for N5-214. However there are 2 serial numbers (3765 and 3868) listed on Consignment note 100-23946/100-14195, which do not have an N5 number allocated to them, and there is no further information, in the listing of Dutch Mitchells, regarding these two aircraft. All the Mitchells on this consignment (35 aircraft) were B-25D models.
I thought that I may have a photo of 214, but the photo I was thinking of was of 218, a J model.

The Air Crew lost with 214 were 1st Pilot A.A. Deher Dutch
2nd Pilot G.J. Lugt "
Observer W.G. Franken "
W/OP R.N. Marsman "
A/Gunner A.E. Donk "
A/Gunner Sgt. Barclay RAAF

The aircraft was shot down by A/A fire while on a night raid to Langgoor.

Aircaft, Serial number 3868, is probably N5-214 having regard to the other aircraft numbers in that batch, but I cannot state this for certain, as sometimes the numbers were allocated out of order. 3867 was N5-216, and 3869 was N5-215. Sorry that I do not have much information on indivdual Squadron Members, but maybe this small amount may be of use to you.

3830 to NEIAF as N5-190, later to RAAF as
A47-22. struck off charge 3/50.
3832 to NEIAF as N5-212, later to RAAF as
A47-23. scrapped 10/45.
3833 to NEIAF as N5-208
3834 to NEIAF as N5-210. Shot down by AAA Sept 19, 1944 with
No. 18 Squadron RAAF. All crew KIA.
3835 to NEIAF as N5-209
3836 to NEIAF as N5-211
3867 to NEIAF as N5-216, later to RAAF as
A47-24. crashed 12/44.
:shock: ------> 3868 to NEIAF