North Korean Yak-9? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GrauGeist

Generalfeldmarschall zur Luftschiff Abteilung
This photograph of a wrecked aircraft was taken by photographer John Rich during the Korean war.

It has North Korean markings and the photo's caption referred to it as being Russian.

The tail looks to be a Yak-9...but the fuselage seems a too bulky.

What the heck is it?

Attachments

• koreanwar_nov08_3.jpg
    koreanwar_nov08_3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 563
Pictures from the book Yak 9U P by Robert Panek of the Yellow Mushroom book series.

Attachments

• Yak 9.JPG
    Yak 9.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 1,671
  • Yak 9p.JPG
    Yak 9p.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 496
Graeme, I know it sounds stupid, but I was looking at that photograph, and for some reason, I was thinking that the Yak-9's fuselage had more of a taper at the tail's approach.

And thanks for the info, Micdrow!

This photograph of a wrecked aircraft was taken by photographer John Rich during the Korean war.
It has North Korean markings and the photo's caption referred to it as being Russian.
The tail looks to be a Yak-9...but the fuselage seems a too bulky.
What the heck is it?

I would say this is the correct position of the wreck:
koreanwar_nov08_3.jpg

One can see the original soviet camouflage (green) oversprayed with some "winter white", not grey as noted in the profiles.

Pic is from the most recent issue of The Smithsonian. Saw it over the weekend. A bunch of color pics a reporter from the Korean war took and forgot about. Found them in his attic and sent them in to the Smithsonian.

Decent article.

Pic is from the most recent issue of The Smithsonian. Saw it over the weekend. A bunch of color pics a reporter from the Korean war took and forgot about. Found them in his attic and sent them in to the Smithsonian.

Decent article.

I was reading my latest edition of Smithsonian, and while I was looking at that picture, for some reason, it just didn't look right.

It's one of those deals where you think "oh yeah, I know what that is" then you second-guess yourself...

I screwed up more math tests like that, when I was in school!

Anyway, the article is definately a good read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back