northrop p/f-61 black widow (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jrk

Airman 1st Class
Jul 26, 2005
staffordshire
a number of black widows continued to serve until 1950 in usaf service.by then designated f-51s and in 1949 were the first aircraft of the embryonic us air defence command,founded to defend the usa from soviet air attack.

can anyone confirm this?

thanks jay

jrk said:
a number of black widows continued to serve until 1950 in usaf service.by then designated f-51s and in 1949 were the first aircraft of the embryonic us air defence command,founded to defend the usa from soviet air attack.

can anyone confirm this?

thanks jay

Most Black Widows in combat configuration went out of service right after WW2. Test and hack aircraft hung around for a few years. They were totally removed from the inventory in the early 50s.

Dont you mean P/F-61 Blackwidow?

The F61 also was converted postwar to a recon plane called the "reporter".

Didnt do much though cause of the jets coming onine.

I dont think the P61 served in the air defense role for the US after 1947 or so. The F82 was deployed and far superior to the P61 by then.

If someone has different info, Id like to know

syscom3 said:
I dont think the P61 served in the air defense role for the US after 1947 or so. The F82 was deployed and far superior to the P61 by then.

If someone has different info, Id like to know

I believe you're right. I think the F-82 was the main air defense fighter right after the war

The P-61 reconnaissance version became the F-15 Reporter, not the F-51. It was used as an all-weather recon plane for a short period after WWII.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back