Not how you want to start your life: 'Stillborn' Baby Found Alive In Morgue Coffin...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
9:04am UK, Wednesday April 11, 2012

An investigation has begun after an apparently stillborn baby girl was found alive - 12 hours after she was placed in a coffin for burial.
The parents of the girl, who was born three months premature, say they found she was still breathing when they went to the local morgue to say goodbye.
Analia Bouter said she never got a chance to look at her baby after the birth because she had been sedated by staff at the hospital in Chaco, northern Argentina.
"At the time of birth I don't remember much because I was put to sleep," she said.
"Rather, they never showed me the baby."
Born at 10.24am, the infant was taken directly to the morgue after aparently being declared dead.
Mrs Bouter and her husband, Fabian Veron, later visited the morgue where they say they forced open the tiny coffin to look at their daughter.
"The baby was there and they put the little casket on a stretcher. We looked for a bar to prise it open. The casket was nailed shut," Mr Veron said.
"I started to prise, took a deep breath and took the top off. My wife was the first one to look at the body and she uncovered it slowly.
"She saw the little hand and then uncovered the face. That's when it let the first little cry out.
"My wife jumped back, like saying, 'This must be my imagination'."
The baby girl, born a week ago, was reported to be in stable condition on Tuesday.
The parents had originally planned on naming her Liliana Abigail but have instead called her Luz Milagros - which means Miracle's Light.
"I went back to look again and she was moving. So I started to uncover the face and it was like she was just getting up, waking up," Mr Veron said.
"And that's when the lady from the morgue grabbed her and brought her."
Little Luz Milagros is the couple's fifth child. Provincial health officials have confirmed they are investigating the incident.

Saw this first on the Good Morning America show. The newscasters stated that below freezing temps in the morgue had kept the baby alive, then switched to the weather segment. Good old weather guy Sam Champion guipped "Speaking of temperatures below freezing"

I don't want to sound like a skeptic, but doesn't a physician check the patient (in this case, the baby) to verify death and isn't there usually an autopsy (death inquest) followed by preperations such as embalming prior to burial?

You don't have be embalmed, even in a lot of places in the USA, unless you die from certain diseases, and autopsies are only performed when the cause of death is not known or it's requested , by next of kin.

must not have been a very air tight coffin! i know its argentina and all but i'm with GG....a tad skeptical.

Bobby/Grau, alive or dead is not all that easy to detect. In a deep coma heart and breathing can be very difficult to detect. Premature burial was a theme of Poe and others. During the cholera epidemics of the 18th and 19th centuries when embalming was uncommon and burials were done quickly many types of "safety coffins" were built. Most had some type to signaling device such as a rope attached to a bell above the grave. "saved by the bell". In Germany a temporary coffin was built above the open grave, a window into the temporary coffin allowed the body to be viewed. A watchman looked through the window every day until signs of decomposition were noted. A trapdoor in the bottom was opened, the body fell into the grave, the temporary coffin removed to be reused, and the grave was filled in.
Even today there are documented cases of dead bodies waking up on the autopsy table or funeral home. Of course embalming takes care of any possible premature burial today

Users who are viewing this thread

Back