Number of Engines

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

the lancaster kicks ass

Major General
Dec 20, 2003
ok, this ones just out of interest, but which aircraft had/has the most engines? and by that i mean engines providing propulsion, i.e. jet engines and/or piston engines driving a propeler, engines driving things like generators don't count, so far the most i can find is the Do-X with 12 engines, can any other plane do better? note- they must have actually been flown :lol:

I think that might be the record holder, later model B-36s had 10 and of course the B-52 had 8.

My father in law once told me he lost an engine on a B-52. He said if they didn't have gages, he wouldn't of noticed the difference!

the lancaster kicks ass said:
:lol: wasn't there a suggestion once of replacing the 8 engines with 4 larger ones?

Yep!!! It kind of fizzled in the early 80s but recently re-emerged. RR was trying to convince the USAF to go with 4 RB-211s...

well like i said the most i've found so far is 12, anyone got any other planes?...........

The DoX a seaplane built in 1929 had six pairs (for 12 total) mounted above the wing. I belive this was the highest number of engines on a single aircraft!

wmaxt

My Uncle lost 7 engines on his B-52 when he was flying bombing missions over Vietnam. Luckily there was a WWII airfield available and once the contaminated fuel was removed a minimum load takeoff was accomplished. He actually got into trouble for not abandoning the aircraft.

He got in trouble another time because he continued his mission after losing 2 engines.

wmaxt

wmaxt said:
The DoX a seaplane built in 1929 had six pairs (for 12 total) mounted above the wing. I belive this was the highest number of engines on a single aircraft!

wmaxt

yes that's the highest i've found so far, i've never heard of anymore.........

Flyboy when and where did your father in law fly B-52s. My dad was with the 28th at Ellsworth and I'm not sure which outfits my uncle was in but he flew out of Wendover, Mass, they both retired in 1972.

wmaxt

wmaxt said:
Flyboy when and where did your father in law fly B-52s. My dad was with the 28th at Ellsworth and I'm not sure which outfits my uncle was in but he flew out of Wendover, Mass, they both retired in 1972.

wmaxt

He was at Minot in the mid 80s....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back