Occupation Air Force Germany markings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

berthag

Recruit
May 10, 2016
Hi, I'm looking for photo's of Fighter Group markings worn by the USAAF during the occupation of Germany, from 1945 to 1952. During that period USAFE introduced it's own coding system which differed from the codes worn by a/c in the U.S.

The two-volume set of USAF Europe in Color by Robert Robinson is probably your best bet. It appears to be drawings, not photos - but those are probably better anyway for getting an idea of the color schemes.

It is out of print, but you can pick up an inexpensive copy here:

Usaf Europe - AbeBooks

The two-volume set of USAF Europe in Color by Robert Robinson is probably your best bet. It appears to be drawings, not photos - but those are probably better anyway for getting an idea of the color schemes.

It is out of print, but you can pick up an inexpensive copy here:

Usaf Europe - AbeBooks
Thank you for your prompt reply. I already have the books you mention, but they cover a later period than my enquiry. The period that I am seeking was immediately post war. The Groups that were chosen to remain in Germany and perform occupation duty continued to use their wartime markings, with the addition of red-yellow-red bands around the rear fuselage. This lasted, I believe, until about August 1946, when the groups were re-numbered and a new system of coding was introduced. This is the period that I am interested in. I found the attached picture on the internet, unfortunately I forgot to take a note of where.

Attachments

• Fb10-2.jpg
    Fb10-2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 298
Excellent, Thank you very much. The photograph is interesting, probably taken in Malta, those are British soldiers swarming all over the plane. Live firing practice was not feasible in Germany at this time, and was usually done at Wheelus Field, Tripoli or RAF Malta.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I already have the books you mention, but they cover a later period than my enquiry. The period that I am seeking was immediately post war. The Groups that were chosen to remain in Germany and perform occupation duty continued to use their wartime markings, with the addition of red-yellow-red bands around the rear fuselage. This lasted, I believe, until about August 1946, when the groups were re-numbered and a new system of coding was introduced. This is the period that I am interested in. I found the attached picture on the internet, unfortunately I forgot to take a note of where.

I found some copies online, and you're right - only the bombers are shown immediately post-war.

These are of stateside aircraft in 1946, but the newer schemes - so the war-time schemes were replaced fairly quickly as you said... within about a year or so:

qkdmjag0uj_large.jpg

Source: rsmodels.cz

Here's a P-51 in the winter of 1946 - Furth AB, Germany with the red-yellow-red bands:
P-51D%252C+10th+Rec+Gp%252C+Furth+AFB%252C+Germany%252C+1946.jpg

Source: Replica in Scale: There Are Things We Just Won't Do, A Wulf of a Different Color, Some Phine Phifties Photos, and Some Rare Electras

Another view with side-art:
p51.png

Source: Alfred MONZAT

Yes, in the States they started using 'Buzz codes' in 1945. In Europe they continued using the war-time codes, until August 1946 when the USAF introduced a policy, where still active high numbered units were replaced with lower numbered, or more famous, inactive groups. This system consisted of two letters, first letter indicating Base/Group, and second letter Squadron, 'A' = HQ, 'B', 'C', and 'D'= 1st, 2nd and 3rd assigned squadrons, followed by the a/c number - usually 1 thru 25. At this time there were about seven fighter groups still in Europe.

About that P-51 photo, Replica in Scale, says it belonged to the 10th PRG, the 10th used blue and white nose checks, those look more yellow and green to me, which would make it from the 55th FG, which also used the nose checks, or even the 357th FG, which used red and yellow checks. They were all in Germany around this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back