Odd Me-262

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
THe top has a 50mm mauser cannon.
Middle one has cameras.
Bottom has a glasss nose for a bomb aimer. He would lie prone.

Attachments

• 262.jpg
    262.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 143
yeah ive seen that pic before , the 50 mm cannon , wonder how stable of a platform it would have been ? one thing i liked about the germans the had alot of dare in them when it came too thinking , do you think it was a blind alley they were going up on that one , it would have made hamburger out of a b-17 or a tank

the Mauser cannon bird has been covered in a previous thread. JV 44 had one and it flew on two known missions against 9th Af B-26's on both missions the heavy silly 5cm cannon jammed

There are limits to what a fighter can do...especially then...now a fighter can do a lot of things...I wonder how they didn't put an 88 on a plane or did they?...

A 75 mm PaK was the largest they mounted on aircraft but they did some experiments with recoilless guns of larger caliber.

And the 75 mm gave them lots of problems due to the enormous recoil. One Ju 88 P variant and some Hs 129 used this gun.

Makes me think about the A-10 as a bomber interceptor..

I'd replace the depleated urainium shells with HE or even full metal jacket..

wow... bbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp. flames... next
:shock:

yeah ive seen that pic before , the 50 mm cannon , wonder how stable of a platform it would have been ? one thing i liked about the germans the had alot of dare in them when it came too thinking , do you think it was a blind alley they were going up on that one , it would have made hamburger out of a b-17 or a tank

Watson's Whizzers captured one of the 50 mm Me 262's in Germany in 1945 and flew it to France for water tranportation back to the US onboard the HMS Reaper (along with a lot of other captured aircraft); the pilot said the big cannon barrel sticking out of the front of the plane actually had no noticeable effect on the 262's handling qualities.

The Germans reasoned that a single hit from a 50 mm shell was enough to take down a heavy bomber, even a B-17 or a B-24.

I have read about the Me 262 with the single 50 MM cannon and also (I'm just relying on my memory) about a special Me 262 with six 30 MM cannons, that would had been some serious fire power.

It's hard for me to believe that recoil wouldn't have been a major problem to
the jet's performance I don't think that it's muzzle velocity would've been too good either but, one shot would probably destroy any allied plane
However, I'm NO authority by any means Just an opinion

Muzzle velocity was pretty high but ROF was not. Overall I don't think it was a practical solution. The installation shows that the fighter could've been easily equipped with the MK 213 though.

I seem to remember reading in a book that the Germans did try an 88mm on an aircraft (Ju-88 or He-177), using a counter-charge to offset the recoil. However, the counter-charge failed when it was tested and the recoil removed the gun assembly from the aircraft's belly.

CD

Yeah, it would be very hard to catch a b-1 in a A-10 unless you cought it landing or taking off. Much like the Mustangs did with the 262 in WW2. Intresting, HUH!

Could you imagine the A-10 as a bomber interceptor, mass destruction everywhere!

Way too slow. Top end is something like 400mph. And that is probably clean.

Probably a bear to dogfight though. Plenty of power, straight wing and a 30MM cannon is just one hairy fight. Have to stand off and hit it with a missle. In tight, all the advantages go to the Warthog.

Thanks for the link Mic, very interesting. If the Germans had been just a little quicker in getting their Volksjagers and their heavy guns into the air, the consequences for the strategic bombing offensive could have been disastrous. A weapon like the MK214 on a suitable platform would have played havoc with any heavy bomber :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back