Oil wash question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Odinkarr

Recruit
Aug 8, 2016
So I'd like to put an oil based wash over my models to give them a good weathered look. However, I don't want to use a paint thinner that will eat away the decals for the acrylic paint. What type of oil paint thinner should I use?

Also, I was planning on putting a matte varnish over the acrylic paint and decals before applying the wash. Would that make any difference?

Why insist on an oil wash? If you are using acrylic paints, you may risk a reaction. Also, washes work best over a gloss coat so I'd suggest you apply an acrylic gloss coat before applying decals, then use your wash. If you do it on the flat coat, you will find that the excess wash will be difficult to remove in the areas that you don't want it to show. For acrylic wash, I use either acrylic paint or powdered pastels mixed with water and a drop or two of dis soap.

I agree with the post above. However there is as many ways for making the wash as many modellers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back