Old time modeler returning after many years away (married then) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dneid

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2012
Austin, TX
Hey, All,
I guess I should get around to introducing myself. I am Dale, living in Austin, Texas. I am an old fart (old enough to have worked on B-52Ds loaded with nukes). I started modeling at a young age, maybe 10. Got real serious when a friend of my parents REALLY introduced me to aircraft modeling (thanks, Leonard and I truly mean that). I really got hooked on the detail stuff with Shep Paine's (proper spelling?) 1st brochure in the Monogram B-17G. I still have that brochure.
So, one ex wife later, I found an old box marked modeling stuff. Low and behold, there were my old Paasche airbrushes and air compressor and a few other odds and ends. That was 8 yrs ago. 18 purchases later I am finally building models again and LOVING it (ok, ok, ok, I admit it, it is the glue I love.....).
So, that is me in a nutshell posting from the nuthouse.
Dale

There are a few of us around here with about the same Start date, 1943 for me. Not too much i would change from your history. I just didn't have a box marked Modeling Stuff. And I only took it up again about 4 years ago.

Welcome to the asylum.

c0140.gif

G'day Dale, welcome aboard and please show us some of your stuff. Like the olds timer up the road Bill (last post), I'm also a returned modeller but came back into the game when I retired just over 8 years ago. Since then it has been nose to the plastic and I have loved every minute of it.

Hello and welcome! Yes please show us some of your work I would love to see it! :)

I'm in the same boat Dale but maybe a bit younger (54). I didn't have an old box anymore as I moved across this great country 3 times so started from scratch again about 9 years ago.

Welcome Dale, and there are a few of us with similar histories! I started modelling at the age of 8 or 9, tried to get 'serious' about it at age 10 - that was in 1962 !
Like some here, got married, jobs, military life and other things got in the way, so stopped and started again a few times, but only really got back into the hobby properly when I joined this forum, just over four years ago.
Now, being single again, and no interruptions or being told I can't have this shelf or that shelf, or that kit or that book, I'm back at it big time. All I really lack is the room to display all the finished items!

Hi Dale,
welcome from myself too.
Again a similar story.
I started aircraft modelling at about 15, then stopped to re-start at about 30 with HO railways and r.c. stuff with the excuse to get my seven year son involved.
Didn't worked as I hoped but I found that building model was still fun, and I restarted with 1/32 plastic birds.

My wife wasn't too happy because they were taking too much place on house shelves, so I moved to something smaller, figurines like this one:
Lanciere rosso b.jpg

or this:
DSCN0284 res.jpg

When retired, at end of 2007, it was the right time to start again with 1/32 birds. My wife doesn't complain too much, so I keep going.
Alberto

wow that's really nice! But haha look at the giant white pinecone on the first figures head. There is no offence intended I just had to laugh because I don't really know what it is. Can you tell me?

Well, hundred or, may be, thousand of books have been written on uniforms used by the French Army during Napoleonic wars, so isn't easy to explain that "pinecone" in few words.
When I was busy with that kind of modelling, I spent a lot of time reading books on that subject and, in a nut-shell, I can say that opposite to today the goal of an uniform wasn't to make a soldier difficult to identify against the background but, instead the uniform was intended to impress the enemy: an army with very ostentatious uniforms meant a very rich and powerful country.
Some more info could be found here:
Grande Armée - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Alberto

Footnote: a couple more examples from my collection.
View attachment 221065
Cacciatore a cavallo a.jpg

Uff Mamelucchi 2 res.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff Alberto. The correct name for the 'pine cone' is a hackle (at least in English, anyway). Some units of the British Army still use the hackle today, albeit in smaller forms, as part of the traditions of their Regiments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back