One for the bucket list Tal-y-llyn-valley

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
I have heard of this place many times, and seen some amazing photos from the area, but I hadn't seen a video of it, until now. Looks like a great perch to take shots!

Evan, that is very cool, many years ago you could hike and climb to "freedom ridge" which is/was an overlook onto Groom Lake. Used to sit there and take pics of the nonexistent Area 51. Used to be some pretty cool aircraft zooming around. Course now you can't get within 5 miles of the ridge. Still a few places in Calif. near airbases where you can see various jets "in action". Around here it's strictly air shows

that is pretty cool. to know where they were constantly able to be seen would be a definite trip. the area where my camp is located is a national forest and its airspace was designated an MOA ( military operations area ). you would hear them buzzing around the valleys and on a rare occasion catch a glimpse of one trimming the trees. but i havent seen of heard anything up there for years. but the army still uses it and it isnt uncommon to see a boy all camoed up sitting by a dirt road trying to get his bearings. they drop them off in the middle of the woods and make them find their way home. some parts of those woods can be a real B!T<#.

And dont forget the miniature railway !

I've been thinking of doing this trip for some time now, but dont reckon my little 300 zoom is 'big' enough fro what goes through that valley

Why don't you guys get together, hire a 747 and come over for Flying Legends, we can arrange for a coach and do this trip as an add on !

this is the website about the place...

Mach Loop Video / Photography from LowFlyMedia

Last edited:
And dont forget the miniature railway !

I've been thinking of doing this trip for some time now, but dont reckon my little 300 zoom is 'big' enough fro what goes through that valley

Why don't you guys get together, hire a 747 and come over for Flying Legends, we can arrange for a coach and do this trip as an add on !

this is the website about the place...

Mach Loop Video / Photography from LowFlyMedia
Worked 3 years on the NATO lo Level training area in Goose Bay and though the flying in valley in Wales looks good they are oh so Hi.

I thought it interesting how much higher the F15 seemed to fly and the drop tanks thay had to carry.

Great video

There are some good shots on the web site, my personal fav is the HS 125 belting down the valley.

Last edited:
Would be awesome to view from on high
It seemed in my observations that the RAF were always a little more daring in Lo Level work then most AF's . I once got buzzed by a Vulcan while fishing (always with no success) while I was casting and swear I almost snagged him

Gents, if you look around you will see that there are civvies in the MOA/SUA. And... its a loop. Like any racetrack, you test it out a bit and then push your limits. And finally, peacetime has its ops limitations that are self imposed.

If you youtube other F-15 vids you will see that some of the turn--burns are REALLY close and quite amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back