One Of The Most Incredible Engine Sounds? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sid327

Banned
Jan 28, 2010
TRNC
This engine was described as sounding ''interesting'' below 9,000rpm ......and expensive above....

Any guesses?!

Attachments

• -Pure Sound-.mp3
    4 MB · Views: 179
The car here is owned by Nick Mason from Pink Floyd.

The soundtrack is from a CD "Into The Red.''
Car driven by Mark Hales at Donnington race track (UK).

I could listen to this every day. You can even hear the ''howl'' of the RR developed and custom made supercharger as the car passes the microphone on each lap.

Nice one! :)

Last edited:
:rolleyes: You Brits and your little "watch winders"...:rolleyes:
It's a litre and a half. That's like 90 cu.in. My lawnmower has a bigger engine than that!

Let me show you what MUSCLE is REALLY all about. Listen carefully, the symphony starts at about 0:09.....

...and again...

...now THAT is Power!:headbang:

Last edited:
It's a litre and a half. That's like 90 cu.in. My lawnmower has a bigger engine than that!

It was all that the rules allowed for a supercharged racing engine in Formula 1 from 1947 to 1951. Non-supercharged engines could be 4.5L.

Alfa Romeo won the first two World Championships (1950 and 1951) with their supercharged 1.5L straight 8, type 158 and 159. The 158 had been developed prior to WW2.

Let me show you what MUSCLE is REALLY all about. Listen carefully, the symphony starts at about 0:09.....
...and again...
...now THAT is Power!:headbang:

LOL.
That sounds good! The car in your videos looks almost identical to the '63 Chevy Biscayne I used to own (in Canada) but it definitely didn't sound as good as that.
Though the thread was more about actual sound rather than the ''biggest.''

You want power. Okay :wink2:
But this kind of thing is more what most Europeans are interested in....
.....and this car comes close to being not only beautiful, but being able to put all it's power down on a twisty track, rather than just in a straight line:-

(This is the same guy in a GT40 on a totally wet racetrack just obliterating everybody)......

Power, with control! :salute:

Last edited:
It's a litre and a half. That's like 90 cu.in. My lawnmower has a bigger engine than that! /QUOTE]

Good old "cross-atlantic" jokes aside, If you were to find a very big watch which needs 1bhp to wind it, that "lawnmower" winds 550 watches, and also has a sound claim to be on this forum as the supercharger on the back IS a real scaled down Rolls-Royce Merlin-61 blower. :pilotsalute:

Rolls-Royce were subcontracted to design it for BRM, but in usual racing fashion in Britain, it ended up being a "can you do this but for a laughably small sum of money because its racing?".

Therefore RR couldnt design a brand new blower for it, but they did know rather a lot about Dimensional analysis, so they were able to work out the required flows, and just scale down the Merlin-61 two stage blower until it hit the right numbers, and make it. So the tiny two-stage centrifugal blower is in all important dimensions an exact replica of the most important mechanical supercharger of WW2.

This was all related to be personally by a retired engineer from Rolls-Royce.

Last edited:
LOL! I'm glad you guys took my post in the spirit in which it was intended, although that was some very interesting information that SnowyGrouch relayed. Didn't know that.
I've always loved the sound of that 409 and this seemed like the perfect thread to include it.
I'm looking for other videos of American engines to post here. My search for the perfect "scream" of a 426 Hemi has turned out to be a bust so far, but I will post something when I find it, whether its a Hemi or not.
You guys keep posting videos of European engine and we'll keep this cross-Atlantic rivalry going!

Elvis

LOL! I'm glad you guys took my post in the spirit in which it was intended, although that was some very interesting information that SnowyGrouch relayed. Didn't know that.
I've always loved the sound of that 409 and this seemed like the perfect thread to include it.
I'm looking for other videos of American engines to post here. My search for the perfect "scream" of a 426 Hemi has turned out to be a bust so far, but I will post something when I find it, whether its a Hemi or not.
Elvis

Yes,

Why butt heads over something that's a passion for different ppl.
I've found lots of stuff with good sounding engines.
It needs to be a V8? Preferably not a flat-plane crank V8? (they sound like a four cylinder engine to me).

This is a friends ZR1. What d'you think?

Or, you said you had a decent engine in your lawnmower....

Attachments

• Haidar ZR1 70-175.mp4
    4.6 MB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Pretty cool, Sid!....but now I have to call the cops on you for doing 170 in a school zone ( ;) ).
...doesn't necessarily have to be a V8, either. In fact, did I ever show you guys my "hot rod"?
It's a '32 Ford with a GMC 702 V12 engine in it!
Interesting engine. In the 60's, GMC decided to replace its line of aging inline six engines with a new V6 engine of varying displacements (the little 305 went into all their pickups between 1960 and 1966. Some 3/4 and 1 ton pickups got the larger 351 up through 1972).
When it came to the big trucks, GMC decided to build a V12 based on the bore and stroke of the 351. It used a single V12 block and running parts, but utilized four
351 V6 cylinder heads.

….ok, its not really mine, but I thought it was cool they named it for me. :thumbup:

LOL! just saw the lawnmower video!
Never said I had a "decent" engine in my lawnmower, only a bigger one than that V16. ;)
...however, that reminds me of a couple of videos I've seen before....

...\\:D/:laughing6:

Love it))

The old flatheads sound great at low rpm.

The different engine sounds are most of the enjoyment for me.

(The ZR1 clip was taken on the highway returning from Dubai to Abu Dhabi).

This sounds great.....

But then so does this))

Some cool sounding engines....

Straight-six

Straight-six

V8 engine (Flat-plane crank)

V12 engine

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back