One You'd Most Like To See

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ghostdancer

Airman
Oct 6, 2007
Lakeside, Arizona
Which WWII battle site would you most like to visit?

For me I think Guadalcanal and the other Solomons. From what I understand it is one of the most scenic and beautiful areas of the Pacific and a lot of remaining wartime relics which the current government has under official protection.

Well I have been to many of the European ones: Bastogne, Normandy, etc... so I would like to go to any of the Pacific ones.

And in places such as these I wonder if one were to look hard enough if they could find old rifle and machine gun shell casings.

If I were in Normandy one thing I'd want to see is the Orne River bridge crossing where these British glider troops made an assault; however, I understand that the bridge has been replaced.

And in places such as these I wonder if one were to look hard enough if they could find old rifle and machine gun shell casings.

Believe it or not things are found all over the place.

I have unconfirmed sources that say that at one of the military installations where I lived they just uncovered an underground bunker with Tiger Tanks in it.

Again this is unconfirmed and if I get some more info I will let everyone know. It would not surprise me as there are tunnels all over the city and outlying areas. Hell in the basement of the PX is an autopsy table from WW2. I was walking around in the basement of the building I work in and there are all sorts of orginal hallways and tunnels from WW2 with original wooden doors with stamps on them and everything. Pretty neat.

Ghostdancer said:
If I were in Normandy one thing I'd want to see is the Orne River bridge crossing where these British glider troops made an assault; however, I understand that the bridge has been replaced.

Ive been there and yes the the original bridge is not there anymore. Only the foundation of it is still left. Still it is very cool to go to anyplace in Normandy. Just to walk Omaha beach is truely eye opening.

Getting closer to home - There's a peak in the Rincon Mtns. east of Tucson which contain the remains of a B-25 Mitchell that crashed there during the war. Current maps of the area show no trails for the area though so I'm guessing it is very difficult to get to.

I have unconfirmed sources that say that at one of the military installations where I lived they just uncovered an underground bunker with Tiger Tanks in it.

Again this is unconfirmed and if I get some more info I will let everyone know. It would not surprise me as there are tunnels all over the city and outlying areas. Hell in the basement of the PX is an autopsy table from WW2. I was walking around in the basement of the building I work in and there are all sorts of orginal hallways and tunnels from WW2 with original wooden doors with stamps on them and everything. Pretty neat.

Ive been there and yes the the original bridge is not there anymore. Only the foundation of it is still left. Still it is very cool to go to anyplace in Normandy. Just to walk Omaha beach is truely eye opening.

That is neat if so. Gee, do you suppose they're haunted? :mrgreen:

The original bridge was there when I went (it was behind the museum), it just isn't in use anymore. Not sure which battlefields I would like to go to. I have been to Normandy but I think I would like to go and see some of the Pacific Islands battles or North Africa.

Scuba diving in Truk Lagoon!
Corregidor
Iwo Jima
Normandy
Stalingrad
Maginot line

I've been to Sicily, Malta, Bastogne, Berlin and others

Malta is VERY cool

My dream vacation would be to take a Stephen Ambrose Historical Tour. Particularly the Band of Brothers tour. To see all those sites in relation to the film and the 101 st Airborne would be the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back