ooooooooops

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yup! I also understand engine out maneuvers are nerve racking if not dangerous! Check out this genius! This happened last year about 40 miles fro where I live.

Witness Says Plane Was Doing Stunts Before Fatal Crash « CBS Denver

Geez! Did you read the NTSB report on the 2014 crash? "Toxicological testing revealed that the pilot had a blood alcohol content of 0.252 milligrams of alcohol per deciliter of blood, which was over six times the limit (0.040) Federal Aviation Regulations allowed for pilots operating an aircraft."

Probable Cause:
CEN14FA163

Full Narrative:
CEN14FA163: Full Narrative

For the FL "very-low pass" it looks like he is touching down halfway down the runway. Maybe it is the angle, but I'm not sure he could have stopped had the wheels been down.

I think I remember a video from Europe like the Cessna one. The guys were talking about the damn beeping. It was just a moment after touchdown when they realized what that annoying noise was trying to tell them.

Remember folks, no harm in checking something twice.

Geez! Did you read the NTSB report on the 2014 crash? "Toxicological testing revealed that the pilot had a blood alcohol content of 0.252 milligrams of alcohol per deciliter of blood, which was over six times the limit (0.040) Federal Aviation Regulations allowed for pilots operating an aircraft."

Probable Cause:
CEN14FA163

Full Narrative:
CEN14FA163: Full Narrative

Yep - this was insane! The gene pool was enhanced after that!

Undercarriage on bigger aircraft have sensors connected to what's called Weight-On-Wheels, or WOW, which is tied into a master proximity sensor system in the aircraft, which also monitors things like pax and cargo door positions etc, so if the sensors are aligned with contacts on the gear below a certain power setting or power lever position, a horn goes off in the cockpit and the master caution/warning light starts flashing.

Whenever we do undercarriage retracts and we forget to pull the WOW CBs the plane starts screaming at us; "What the f*** are you doing?! You're trying to raise the gear with the power levers at Flight Idle!"

Humans are prone to episodes of utter irrationality, so you can put as many controls in place to avert disaster, but if we are really determined, we'll get round the system and do dumb sh!t, no matter what. These are classic examples.

Last edited:
I've never flown a retrtactible aircraft that didn't give an aerodynamic "announcement" that the gear was either down, coming down, or going up. In other words, if youa re paying attention, you will feel it.

However, you CAN get distracted by passengers in the middle of checklists and skip a step when you go back to the checklist. Since so MANY people do this, it cannot be all that difficult to do. So far, I haven't ... but some of the most experienced pilots in world have.

A VERY experienced jet fighter pilot bellied in our F-86 once, and we had a 20,000+ hour airline pilot belly in a Spitfire, too. Fortunately, both are back flying and we now have a policy at the Museum taht no non-Museum "guest" pilots fly our planes ever again unless approved by Steve Hinton.

The Nanchang doesn't give too much of an aerodynamic 'announcement' when the gear is down/in transit. Its just a little harder to slow down on approach, but not too far outside a normal approach. Couple that with no aural warning horn, and it was only the short final checks that saved me.

Most instructors now teach to return to the start of the checklist if you get distracted in the middle, just for this reason..

We had a very experienced pilot belly in a Hunter, after getting distracted looking for traffic, who had specifically stated that they had him in sight and were keeping well clear. It doesn't take much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back