Other Eras.... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Why is it that it only goes back to 1800? How about a subforum for anything before 1800? I'm pretty sure that there's a few (besides me) who enjoy history further back than that?

Just wondering... :D

Apollo's Chariot, Daedalus and Icarus, The apparition seen by Ezekiel, King Kawus' eagle throne, Chinese/Japanese manned kites, unfortunate scouts/messengers that were sent back over seiged walls via Trebuchet/Onager, Medieval tower jumpers, European hot air or hydrogen balloons...

All before the 19th century

Not in the USA :)

I once paid my respects in a Christian church in Mexico, older than any church in my home town, but not my region. N America has history in abundance.

It was the oldest church in the Ameicas just outside Veracruz (I was told built by Don Cortez), a very special place.

Last edited:
Not in the USA :)
lol...Actually, California was explored by the Spaniards in the 1500's onward. Spain also explored Florida about the same time. These instances predate northern European exploration and colonization.

This also excludes the Norsemen visiting North America in the 1100's :p

That's true. But he got a briefing before taking off . :lol:
Sure, he was briefed, but in one ear and out the other...we've all known pilots like that! :lol:

lol...Actually, California was explored by the Spaniards in the 1500's onward. Spain also explored Florida about the same time. These instances predate northern European exploration and colonization.

This also excludes the Norsemen visiting North America in the 1100's :p

Sure, he was briefed, but in one ear and out the other...we've all known pilots like that! :lol:

You mean those lovely gentlemen who landed up north, in the year 1000, 492 years before whatshisname, that Spanish dude, who got lost.... Makes me think celebrating Columbus Day a bit misleading, celebrating someone was lost...(tung in cheek)...
So, as it has been proven that our sympathetic Leif Eriksson, beat whatshisname by almost 500 years, why isn't that celebrated?
Maybe the part where he landed, (as one British said, forgot his name) isn't part of North America...?

;) :lol:

An all honesty, the Norse voyages to North America weren't well known until much later on. By that time, Columbus' discovery of the New World had entrenced itself in modern history. And *technically* speaking, Columbus never laid eyes on North America.

But within 50 years of Columbus' discovery, the Spaniards advanced from south and central America into north America proper.

In a twist of irony, Sir Francis Drake sailed up the California coast (suggested as far north as Oregon) and laid claim to the land for the Crown, but it was never colonized...

Now that would have certainly messed history up! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread