P-38 AIRPLANE DROP TANKS

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by wonderman, Jan 17, 2010.

1. wonderman

wonderman New Member

Hi, I'm in very cold West Michigan. I acquired a huge box of World War II paper items from an estate. I went through the box and found most everything to be P-38 related, blueprints and lots more from 1943-44. They belonged to a Captain/engineer in the Air Corp and were from several different bases. Several have to do with a drop tank and refueling. I was wondering if the blueprints would be declassified after all these years or who I could contact to find out. I didn't know where to start so I came here. Thanks from Michigan

2. FLYBOYJ

FLYBOYJ "THE GREAT GAZOO"
    Staff Member Moderator

Aircraft Maintenance Manager/ Flight Instructor
    Oh they are long declassified and could probably be kept as collection items or sold on the open market.

3. wonderman

wonderman New Member

Even if they were part of the engineering and are stamped confidential?

4. Micdrow

Micdrow “Archive”
    Staff Member Moderator

Manufacture Tech
    If you go through this link and down load some of the reports and stuff you would find some of them still say that also thought most now say declassified by the goverment because they came from the goverment as copies. Your lucky actually as yours as yours is orginal data.

Technical - Aircraft of World War II - Warbird Forums

5. Sweb

Sweb Member

Aircraft Mechanic
    Declassified, for sure. Besides, how can any classification be enforceable when you could buy demilitarized stuff directly from the government as surplus at war's end? A P-51 was $500.00 new in-the -crate. Drop tanks were bought up by many and used for stuff like this:
    P-38 Drop Tank Lakes Racer - 1948 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

6. Capt. Vick

Capt. Vick Well-Known Member

Are there any for 50 or 55 gallon drop tanks? Could use the information for a Curtiss XP-55 Ascender build.

7. wonderman

wonderman New Member

I haven't had a chance to go through everything yet. There are probably 50 "ALL AMERICAN AVIATION INC" 210 Greenhill Ave Wilmington, Del "The Airway To Everywhere" envelopes with research and development of the P-38 and the drop tank system from 1943-44. There are several huge 4' x 6' blueprints of the cockpit and instruction prints on refueling from a B-24. There is also a 135mm motion picture on the B-24 refueling the P-38 in flight. I will be taking a closer look at the items in the next few days.