P-38 High Altitude Ops in Pacific Theatre (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gjs238

Tech Sergeant
Mar 26, 2009
In the European theatre the P-38 is noted for reliability problems at high altitude.
In the Pacific theatre the P-38 is noted for it's long range/endurance (and 2-engine reliability.)

I am interested in learning if the P-38 was tasked with high altitude missions in the Pacific theatre, for missions at altitudes where the P-39 and P-40 performance were not acceptable.

Not really -

1.) most B-24 missions were in the 18,000 to 20,000 ft range.
2.) ALL medium bomber strikes were medium to low altitude
3.) most japanese bomber missions were lower than B-24 strikes
4.) the warm surface temp guaranteed higher temperatures at 20,000+ feet than ETO comparable temperatures.
5.) photo recon could remain at a lower altitude because of the incredible speed advantage the P-38 had over most japanese interceptors

The dry adiabatic lapse rate is about 3 degrees F per 1000 feet. If the surface air temp is 95F, at 20K you're only looking at about 35F, not that terribly cold compared to ETO temperatures.

I dont recall seeing any picture of a fighter or bomber crew (in the central or SW pacific) wear the cold weather gear like that worn in European. Even the P38 pilots wore what looked like a tropical or warm weather type of clothing.

Things might have changed though once operations over Japan began.

I dont recall seeing any picture of a fighter or bomber crew (in the central or SW pacific) wear the cold weather gear like that worn in European. Even the P38 pilots wore what looked like a tropical or warm weather type of clothing.

Things might have changed though once operations over Japan began.

Syscom - I really agree that for one particular point in time - just before LeMay took over when Hansell has 20th and high altitude bombing was order of the day.

I suspect that ops from Okinawa tactical and B-17/B-24 /B-32 type ops would have been exactly the same but I wonder when and if high altitude ops would have ever started again..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back