P-38 vs Mosquito? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What does he mean by "far north"? I know the P-38 was stationed in the Aleutians, and that conditions were fairly primitive at Adak; could that be what he was talking about?

I think what FlyboyJ is trying to say is we know the P-38 was a highly technical plane, it needed alot of maintinence. That is not new info really. I also doubt that a Seafire would work too well on rough fields, grass sure. The information about the planes from the aerial mapping company is neat information though, it is just not combat related.

I also would not want to have a wooden airplane in the tropics. Keep the Mossies in the cold or dry desert.

Obviously two very different aircraft, but they both performed Photo Recon missions, I wonder how they compare in that aspect. A mission that arguably is just as important as any other flown!

The guy flew them for a company that was mapping areas in Canada.

Gotcha; so they bought war-surplus P-38's, and converted them into photo-mapping planes? I know there were several companies who did that and, in fact, one of the ex-F-5G's ended up on the racing circuit in the late '40's (don't remember which one).

The guy flew them for a company that was mapping areas in Canada.
I really thought some might appreciate these insights of a guy that flew both aircraft but I guess not. :lol: He flew and ferried these aircraft not just in the North but in every continent save Australia and Antarctica ,
."

I really thought some might appreciate these insights of a guy that flew both aircraft but I guess not. :lol: He flew and ferried these aircraft not just in the North but in every continent save Australia and Antarctica ,
."
I do appreciate what he had to say and I also appreciate that he didn't fly them in combat and had many hours on one (1) trying to be supported almost 10 years after production was stopped. With that said I put some of his comments into perspective. In fact, I think most of his comments comes from operating that ONE aircraft in the manner I just stated, not as an operational combat aircraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back