P-38G Antenna Question (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Northwest48

Airman
Jan 20, 2007
Pasco, WA
In the photo below, what is the dark rod or tube just under the top of the rear canopy? I have never seen it in any kit, but should it be in there? One thought is that it might house a spring tensioner for the antenna wire. If that's the case, then I guess it should not be there for a plane equiped with a stub antenna under the chin, but should be there if it had a V-wire antenna.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/p38guy/Page4166.jpg

When I get the P-38 E&M manual I should be able to figure it out. My guess at the moment is that it enclosed a spring to keep the antenna wire taut.

If it's the parts I think you mean, then they are tensioners, one internal, the other external. They keep the antenna wires taught, but allow some freedom of movement to avoid undue stress on the anchor points on the airframe. (the fins, and through the canopy frame.) Without these, when travelling at 300 + mph, the movement of the wires, and the effects of 'g', for example in a turn, could cause serious distortion and, at worst, pull free from their anchor points, which could lead to catastrophic damage to the aircraft.

Not surprised really - it's a very small detail part, and there are many other more prominent small details omitted, on many kits, not just the P-38, mainly due to the cost of tooling. For instance, the actual antenna wires are more prominent than the antenna tensioners or anchor points, but these are never included, and rarely, if ever, shown in instruction sheets.
However, it's the type of thing which can be scratch-built fairly easily, some modellers actually winding their own springs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back