P-40D Drawing

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
Found this schematic on a P-40D. Kinda interesting although big. Sorry, not sure on how to display it for the size and make it readable.

Attachments

• p-40.JPG
    p-40.JPG
    661 KB · Views: 2,136
Hi Micdrow,

I have the same drawing in a WW2 Aircraft drawings book. The dimensions are nice, but have a few issues when actually plotted like I did to build a 3D model for Combat Flight Simulator. The dimensions don't quite match the drawing itself. Also, the resulting model doesn't quite match photographs of the real thing though differences are VERY slight. It is close enough that unless someone pointed out the detail differences, folks probably would not see the result.

I believe they are the best that are available though.

- Ivan.

You will find that with a lot of drawings.Working with original plans and converting to 3D is a pain as 60 odd years ago the measuring equipment wasn,t as accurate as todays toys.A lot of cases the part was built or madified and the draftie sent down to the floor to measure it up.

This drawing was done by William Wylam probably back either during WW2 or shortly after. It does have mistakes in it but is not by far the worst.

I have used several of his drawings as reference for model projects and have found most if not all have some mistakes on them. Having designed many model kits I have found over the years that none of the existing 3 view drawings are perfect and some are just bad. I usually try to get as much info, photos, and 3 views as I can before finalizing my model drawings.

Dave

The attached screenshot is what I built with the P-40D dimensional drawing. Most of the weirdness is around the tail surfaces where the specified radius doesn't really fit.

- Ivan.

Attachments

• P-40E_Hawk87B.jpg
    P-40E_Hawk87B.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 832
Thanks.

What I was looking for was a set of drawings with lots of dimensional information as well.

- Ivan.

BTW, does anyone know the actual length of the P-40D / P-40E?
Francis Dean - America's Hundred Thousand says 31' 8.5"
The drawing here says 31' 7"
Other sources say 31' 2" or six inches shorter than the P-40B / P-40C which was 31' 8 7/16".

Which is correct?
- Ivan.

Hello all,
I just built flew an R/C P-40. I'm in the process of weathering and applying Hands Off-No Step markings, etc does anyone have a fuse wing locator. She got a 94" wing span with a 100cc chain saw motor and will hall the mail. Flew great until the spinner came loose and shook the hell out of her I barely got her home. Sorry about the large photo but I couldn't figure out how to make it smaller.

I've been looking everywhere,greatly appreciate it, Vinny

Attachments

• 100_3557.JPG
    100_3557.JPG
    535.9 KB · Views: 718
try infranview. Its a free program that allows you to edit photos. Nice model by the way, got any videos of it flying.

Thanks-lotta work- but I love it. No video's yet, I will post when I get them and static weathering photo's when I am complete. It is a critical time during these test flights, it takes me usually 6 to 8 good hard flights ringing her out before I get the bugs out. The spinner came loose on the first test flight that really beat the hell out of the airframe with vibration, rubbed into the cowl and overheated the fiberglass, a real mess. When I landed it was spinning out of round, half ripped off and holding on with 3 screws, I'm telling ya the flying gods told me to land-another minute and it may have been curtains. She's powered by a 100 cc Pioneer chain saw motor I converted that really pulls her, people watching told me it really hauls the mail, but I was to dam nervous to notice. She has functional retracts w/doors, flaps and exhaust--lots a fun to build.

I appreciate the info and will check it out, the stencils I am making on my ink jet and are the rub on type, really cool to use.

Thanks again,

Attachments

• 56515397_BurmaBanshee069.jpg
    56515397_BurmaBanshee069.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 612
Awsome job there propman, one sweet airplane there you made!!!

Thank you Micdrow,
Now if I could find out were to put the stencils that would be great. I'm really not entering any scale contests, but would like to be as accurate as possible. I think what i'm going to do is go from were the major systems were located in the real McCoy and locate the stencils to those locations, the fuse tanks, trim tabs and stuff like that was pretty easy to figure out. Here's ye ol gal in the hanger for weathering and repairs, still got plenty to do and haven't started on the wing yet. From my archives photo's I gathered it appears that most of the ground work was done from the left side of the plane? many photo's with heavily weathering on that side.

I will probably fly her again in another two weeks after a good ground run at home, I hope she makes it.

Again I apologize for the poor photo's

Attachments

• 100_3598.JPG
    100_3598.JPG
    370.1 KB · Views: 641
  • 100_3611.JPG
    100_3611.JPG
    356.7 KB · Views: 626
  • 100_3605.JPG
    100_3605.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 590
  • 100_3612.JPG