P-40E Oil Cooler (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Konig

Airman
Nov 4, 2007
Hi all,

Does anyone have a any pictures at all of a P-40E oil cooler and connections...as in out from behind those two huge radiators?

Another question...

Does anyone have any pictures or information on the differences between oil coolers used on the P-40E (V-1710) and p-40F (Packard Merlin). Was the oil cooler or associated parts interchangeable between the two?

Another question...

Could the Merlin be mounted on the same mounting frame as the V-1710...or did it require a different mounting frame?

Thanks

I' m not sure this will help but I will be delivering some parts to the Tri-state Warbird Museum in Batavia, Ohio on Friday June 18 and will see if they'll allow me to shoot some shots of their P40M. It is currently under restoration and should have its cowls off.

As for the Merlin powered P40F, do a google search for Judy Pay P40F. She is in either Australia or NZ and owns the worlds only P40F. They had to fabricate from nothing everything from the firewall forward as it is completely different from the Allison powered P40s. There was almost nothing in the way of original factory drawings and documentation on the Merlin cowling and associated structure to work from. A very interesting story of a 20 year restoration.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.... That would be great if you could get some photos. See if you can get some of the oil cooler itself and the connections. There should be two oil lines and some kind of valve on the top or side of it.

Thank you for your help.

Another question...

Does anyone have any pictures or information on the differences between oil coolers used on the P-40E (V-1710) and p-40F (Packard Merlin). Was the oil cooler or associated parts interchangeable between the two?
Allison-powered P-40s had the two main coolant radiators and the single, central oil cooler.

Merlin-powered P-40s had a single, large rectangular coolant radiator and the single, circular oil cooler.

No pictures yet.

Hi,

Yeah that's right. What I am trying to determine is whether or not the connections and valves for the P-40E oil cooler are interchangeable for the F's oil coolers and vice-verse.

Thanks

Ok hope this helps

Attachments

• v1710-coolant2.jpg
    v1710-coolant2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 535
  • v1710-oil.jpg
    v1710-oil.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 732
Hi,

Thanks for that. The manual drawings are good. The viscosity valve on top of the oil cooler seems to be different from the two located on the P-40F. Have a look at the photo of the valve on the p-40F below.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6e/Tuskeegee_repair_engine_P-40.jpg

This valve and the associated oil cooler is one of the two on the p-40F.

What I'd love to see is a photo of the valve on the P-40E as I'm trying to determine whether the valve and oil cooler is or was interchangeable between the p-40E and F. There doesn't appear to be any photos of this valve in existence. I've scoured every source on the P-40 known to man.

Thanks

I don't know if this helps or not but in 'Vee's for Victory on Page 366 there are some tables listed for Allison and Merlin engines that list cooling loads and cooling system parameters. Unfortunately it doesn't list the engine for the P-40-E.
It does show the oil flow for the Merlin as 115lb/min and for later model Allison as 160lb/min and up. The two engines got rid of heat in rather different percentages to coolant and oil. With the Allison getting rid of about double the amount of heat to the oil that the Merlin did. This may have required a larger oil cooler on the Allison engine?

Sorry for the delay. Tri-State's P40M has both coolant radiators installed but alas the oil cooler has not been installed yet so I didn't get any pictures of it. They had the wings attached to the fuselage several weeks ago and it was sitting on its gear but they have since separated the wings again to finish detail work in the cockpit (its much easier to do standing on the hanger floor than on your head in the cockpit). I'll try to keep everyone posted on the progress. This is a very neat airplane as it is a wartime veteran of the RNZAF.

Hi Barry,

Never mind. Better luck next time. I appreciate you going to the trouble anyhow.

Konig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back