P-47 'Bridge Buster', 1/48th scale, 9th Air Force Diorama.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Terry some super great work. If I may ask what you used for you grass base, what is the grass and where did you get it. It looks right for my 110. Thanks Don

Don, it's 'static grass' mat, sometimes called 'hairy grass'. It's available in rolls of differing shades, or can be bought in bags of fibre, although they take a lot more work to us. They have to be sprinkled onto a pre-painted base, which is then coated in adhesive and, when set, a static charge passed over the surface, to make the fibres 'stand up'.
The mat can be cut to size and glued down using PVA. When set, any 'bare' ares, such as pathways etc, can be created by slightly wetting the required area, and scraping off all, or as much as required, of the fibres. When dry, the area can then be painted or textured as required, and the 'spare' loose fibres removed can be used to create 'clumps' of grass or weed.
Have a look at Part 1 of my 'Diorama Guide' I posted some years ago as, from memory, it explains a bit more about diorama materials and preparation, and material for bases etc. I noticed you intend to use a sheet of expanded polystyrene - this is not a particularly good material to use for the actual base, but very useful for creating contours or depth.

Okay, it's a while since you finished Terry but what a great finish. Well done for getting that damn Klear coat problem sorted as best as. I seem to remember reading some time back that the formula had been changed to meet some new regs but I could be wrong. Like you say - why otherwise change what was perfectly okay beforehand. Like the idea with the netting - it works a treat & great pics.

Thanks very much, glad you like it. Might get around to doing a similar diorama with a Typhoon for the current GB, if I get the Mitchell done.

Thank you very much - glad you like it.
The RAF Mitchell I'm working on in the Group Builds will also be placed in a diorama setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back