P-47 Load-out (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BlackSheep

Banned
May 31, 2018
While watching a YouTube video about the P-47, I noticed this picture. Does anyone have any information about these bomblets(?) and their use?

0ADC332B-44BE-43FB-8726-202972EE1CF4.jpeg

Suggest Greg's airplanes 8 part series on 47. Best youtubes BY FAR I've seen on 47, and there is a lot of info on what and how much they carried.
Found it!!!! Thanks, I can't wait to binge watch the whole series,lol

I'm a heavy equipment operator in a gold mining camp, 7 on, 7 off. Gotta love 7 day weekends
You'd hear no complaints from me! It's just a hobby for me, being blessed to have access to lots of places not far from Phoenix, I'll take the GoldBug out and dream of finding the golden softball…. Thanks again for the info

The bombs appear to be the 20-lb AN-M41 fragmentation (anti-personnel) bomb.

There were two official clusters for these bombs: the AN-M1A1/A2 which contained six of the fragmentation bombs, and the M26 which contained twenty. Squadrons would sometimes also create their own ad hoc clusters of these bombs.

The bombs appear to be the 20-lb AN-M41 fragmentation (anti-personnel) bomb.

There were two official clusters for these bombs: the AN-M1A1/A2 which contained six of the fragmentation bombs, and the M26 which contained twenty. Squadrons would sometimes also create their own ad hoc clusters of these bombs.
In the full-size picture, that kicks off this thread, I can see two clusters of 10, making you correct!

In the full-size picture, that kicks off this thread, I can see two clusters of 10, making you correct!

Roger Freeman's Thunderbolt — A Documentary History of the Republic P-47 on pages 46-47 has some photos of ordnance loaded onto P-47s. One shows what seems to be a field modification allowing the carrying of twenty-four 20-lb frag bombs; another shows a 500-lb bomb with eight 20-lb frag bombs strapped to it.

Page 51 shows a combat test installation of four 5-inch HVAR rockets along with three 500-lb bombs; also shown is a P-47 equipped with a 150-gallon belly tank, two 500-lb bombs, and two M10 triple tube 4.5-inch rocket launchers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back