P-51 accident at OshKosh

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

From the OshKosh news:
One dead in AirVenture warbird crash when two planes collide; afternoon airshow suspended

One person was killed Friday afternoon when two warbirds collided on the south end of the north-south runway at Wittman Regional Airport.

Witnesses on the AirVenture grounds reported seeing two P-51 Mustangs approach the southern end of Runway 18/36 for what appeared to be a formation landing when the propeller of one Mustang caught the tail of the other, flipping it onto its nose. The aircraft in the rear tried to pull around the crashed aircraft and flipped over in the process, witnesses said.

One plane is covered with a tarp and appears to be upside down in grass east of the runway. The other plane came to a stop with its nose down, about 100 feet north of the other plane.

The pilot of the aircraft that ended up on its nose was able to walk away from the crash, witnesses reported.

The National Transportation Safety Board and Federal Aviation Administration are both investigating the crash.

The afternoon AirVenture air show has been cancelled, EAA spokesman Dick Knapinski said.

The Northwestern will update this story as it develops.

what a total shame and waste......so sorry to hear this and yes we will find out just which pilots and warbirds in the very near days.....

E

I just turned on the TV, showed one mustang, couldnt quite see it or marking. Im sure it will be a hot topic tommorrow when I go back to the airshow.

The local news showed one P-51 up on its nose, Looked like the body was aluminum in color with D Day markings.

It was just announced in the news today on the two aircraft involved. They where Precious Metal from the movie Races at Reno and the other was the Mustang STANG. My condolences to the families involved. Below are two pictures of these war birds from my collection.

Attachments

• Scan0001.jpg
    Scan0001.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 604
Sad to hear it. Do you know where the airplanes were based out of? I am not familiar with either of those 2.

Off hand no, I met the owner of the mustang Precious Metal at last years airshow. This mustang was not a warbird in the normal sense. It was build as a 1 for 1 from scratch off the orginal blue prints for a P-51a mustang with an orginal allison engine. This mustang was around a year to a year and a half old. Sad to say I do not rember his name nor do I know if he was flying at the time of todays accident.

Stang I know next to nothing other then from what Ive heard in years past was that it flew regulary at reno.

This story gets worse, one of the local stations just reported that this is a father and son team. The do not know which one lived and vice versa.

This really sucks!!!!!!

Such a same, seems like lots of crashes this year. I saw the one that had the landing gear collapse. News is actually wrong. They missed the collision last year of a TBF colliding with a private plane killing one in the private plane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back