P-61 Black Widow Wing Tank Color

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just finishing up on Revellogram's 1/48th P-61B Black Widow, and I want to paint the optional wing tanks "camoflage gray", or whatever color gray the undersides of the original P-61A were. My research suggests they were "neutral gray", FS36270; is this correct?

Other sources suggest they could also be the same gloss black as the a/c, but I want to make it a little more interesting. Please advise.

Hi mate,
To be honest it is not easy to pick something up.In some pictures ,I've seen so far,it was visible that the additional fuel tanks could be painted both with Olive Drab/Natural Grey camo and Grey paint.Certainly if an a/c was painted with OD/NG pattern.For planes that were painted with Gloss Black it is possible these tanks could be painted with the same colour.I think you have to find a pic of this a/c you want to make.Certainly it would be nice if there would be visible these tanks.Besides in my opinion the Grey colour was NG one - FS 36270 but taking its quality and the time of using of an a/c into consideration,the tonality of the paint could be a bit different.

Attachments

• p61_on Iwo Jima.jpg
    p61_on Iwo Jima.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,630
  • p61-5.jpg
    p61-5.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 2,076
Hi again,
According some russian sources these fuel tanks were silver.I've found two pics in that there are visible those.The first one shows the first P-61A-1-NO equipped with additional fuel tanks.The second one presents P-61B of 548NFS in 1945.Although both the pics are poor quality it seems that the tanks are glossy.There is a possibility these weren't painted at all.

Attachments

• P-61 A 1 NO no42 5487.jpg
    P-61 A 1 NO no42 5487.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 357
  • P-61B 548NFS Lady in the Dark 1945.jpg
    P-61B 548NFS Lady in the Dark 1945.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 381

Users who are viewing this thread

Back